Jun 10, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Recently, the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes and North Carolina State have been in a bit of a situation recently regarding the sharing of their home arena, PNC Arena.
The two teams are in a dispute over scheduling conflicts, and to most in the media, it seemed like it was the two sides refusing to back down. According to the ‘Canes general manager, Jim Rutherford, the situation isn’t just the two sides going at it.
“The much bigger picture is what we are asked to do, which is to run a first-class facility for community events,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News Observer. “This is not just about basketball and hockey.”
Gale Force [Holdings, who own the arena] has claimed N.C. State used its priority on scheduling dates to lock down an excessive number of slots for a small amount of games. In a letter Rutherford sent last month to the Centennial Authority, which oversees the arena, he said NCSU held out 129 dates in a 214-day span for 23 football and men’s basketball games, making the scheduling of other events – wrestling shows, concerts, etc. – more difficult.
N.C. State released information saying they held 91 of the 123 dates for basketball and football games and they program needed flexibility. The two sides will meet in the next few weeks to discuss the situation.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)