Jun 10, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Recently, the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes and North Carolina State have been in a bit of a situation recently regarding the sharing of their home arena, PNC Arena.
The two teams are in a dispute over scheduling conflicts, and to most in the media, it seemed like it was the two sides refusing to back down. According to the ‘Canes general manager, Jim Rutherford, the situation isn’t just the two sides going at it.
“The much bigger picture is what we are asked to do, which is to run a first-class facility for community events,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News Observer. “This is not just about basketball and hockey.”
Gale Force [Holdings, who own the arena] has claimed N.C. State used its priority on scheduling dates to lock down an excessive number of slots for a small amount of games. In a letter Rutherford sent last month to the Centennial Authority, which oversees the arena, he said NCSU held out 129 dates in a 214-day span for 23 football and men’s basketball games, making the scheduling of other events – wrestling shows, concerts, etc. – more difficult.
N.C. State released information saying they held 91 of the 123 dates for basketball and football games and they program needed flexibility. The two sides will meet in the next few weeks to discuss the situation.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)