Jun 10, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Recently, the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes and North Carolina State have been in a bit of a situation recently regarding the sharing of their home arena, PNC Arena.
The two teams are in a dispute over scheduling conflicts, and to most in the media, it seemed like it was the two sides refusing to back down. According to the ‘Canes general manager, Jim Rutherford, the situation isn’t just the two sides going at it.
“The much bigger picture is what we are asked to do, which is to run a first-class facility for community events,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News Observer. “This is not just about basketball and hockey.”
Gale Force [Holdings, who own the arena] has claimed N.C. State used its priority on scheduling dates to lock down an excessive number of slots for a small amount of games. In a letter Rutherford sent last month to the Centennial Authority, which oversees the arena, he said NCSU held out 129 dates in a 214-day span for 23 football and men’s basketball games, making the scheduling of other events – wrestling shows, concerts, etc. – more difficult.
N.C. State released information saying they held 91 of the 123 dates for basketball and football games and they program needed flexibility. The two sides will meet in the next few weeks to discuss the situation.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)