Jun 10, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Boston decided that two seasons and a 33-29 record were enough to sign Joe Jones to a contract extension, this one going through the 2017-18 season.
In his second season with the Terriers, Jones led the team to a 17-13 season, 11-5 in conference. Despite not being eligible for the America East Conference tournament, Boston earned a berth into the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
“The opportunity to continue to serve Boston University is a tremendous honor,” Jones said in a release. “Our staff is very appreciative of the support that President Brown, [Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary of the Board of Trustees] Todd Klipp and our athletic administration led by Mike Lynch have provided us. Boston University is a very special place and that is no more evident than in the tremendous young men that we work with every day.”
Jones has been able to do some impressive things in his two seasons in Boston. He’s coached an America East Player of the Year in Darryl Partin, as well as a couple of all-conference guys in C.J. Irving and Dom Morris. He returns a bulk of the roster for the 2013-14 season, including sophomore-to-be Maurice Watson, Jr., who averaged 11.2 points per game last season.
Boston will start play in the Patriot League this upcoming season.
(Photo courtesy of Boston Athletics.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)