Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The legal saga for Akron point guard Alex Abreu has just about come to an end.
He pleaded guilty to trafficking in marijuana, a third-degree felony. Abreu was given a two-year suspended sentence, 18 months of probation and a $5,000 fine that was waived as he signed a poverty affidavit.
In short, Abreu got fairly lucky. Police caught him accepting a package that contained five pounds of weed back in early March, and he won’t be doing any jail time as long as he can keep his nose clean for a year and a half.
The worst part of his punishment may be that it ended his college basketball career. Abreu was arrested on March 7th and was subsequently suspended for the MAC tournament. The junior guard had been averaging 10.3 points and 6.0 assists for the Zips, who were 24-5 at the time and had already clinched a share of the MAC regular season title.
It’s unclear if Abreu will be allowed to return next year. The school released a statement saying: “Alex Abreu remains suspended indefinitely from the men’s basketball team following today’s verdict. Both the University of Akron and the department of athletics will review his case and will determine his status at a later date.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)