Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The legal saga for Akron point guard Alex Abreu has just about come to an end.
He pleaded guilty to trafficking in marijuana, a third-degree felony. Abreu was given a two-year suspended sentence, 18 months of probation and a $5,000 fine that was waived as he signed a poverty affidavit.
In short, Abreu got fairly lucky. Police caught him accepting a package that contained five pounds of weed back in early March, and he won’t be doing any jail time as long as he can keep his nose clean for a year and a half.
The worst part of his punishment may be that it ended his college basketball career. Abreu was arrested on March 7th and was subsequently suspended for the MAC tournament. The junior guard had been averaging 10.3 points and 6.0 assists for the Zips, who were 24-5 at the time and had already clinched a share of the MAC regular season title.
It’s unclear if Abreu will be allowed to return next year. The school released a statement saying: “Alex Abreu remains suspended indefinitely from the men’s basketball team following today’s verdict. Both the University of Akron and the department of athletics will review his case and will determine his status at a later date.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)