Jun 11, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
The realignment of the old Colonial Athletic Association made a number of college basketball fanatics die a little bit on the inside.
The recent memories of George Mason and VCU’s brilliant runs to the Final Four made for fond recollections when press releases started rolling out that certain schools were leaving the conference.
Well, at least now, we get a bit of the old times back.
George Mason and Old Dominion will renew their rivalry, in a non-conference fashion, this time.
— Ed Miller (@edmillervp) June 11, 2013
George Mason enters their first season in the Atlantic 10 Conference next season, while Old Dominion takes their programs to Conference USA. The schools, while not bound by conference anymore, are bound by their home state of Virginia, so it’ll be good to see some intrastate rivalry between to teams with solid basketball tradition in VA.
Though as of now, the programs are going in different directions. The Patriots finished 2012-13 at 22-16, falling to Santa Clara in the finals of the College Basketball Invitational. The Monarchs just hired American’s Jeff Jones to replace a fired Blaine Taylor, who was fired mid-season. Old Dominion finished the year 5-26.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)