Jun 11, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
The realignment of the old Colonial Athletic Association made a number of college basketball fanatics die a little bit on the inside.
The recent memories of George Mason and VCU’s brilliant runs to the Final Four made for fond recollections when press releases started rolling out that certain schools were leaving the conference.
Well, at least now, we get a bit of the old times back.
George Mason and Old Dominion will renew their rivalry, in a non-conference fashion, this time.
— Ed Miller (@edmillervp) June 11, 2013
George Mason enters their first season in the Atlantic 10 Conference next season, while Old Dominion takes their programs to Conference USA. The schools, while not bound by conference anymore, are bound by their home state of Virginia, so it’ll be good to see some intrastate rivalry between to teams with solid basketball tradition in VA.
Though as of now, the programs are going in different directions. The Patriots finished 2012-13 at 22-16, falling to Santa Clara in the finals of the College Basketball Invitational. The Monarchs just hired American’s Jeff Jones to replace a fired Blaine Taylor, who was fired mid-season. Old Dominion finished the year 5-26.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)