Jun 11, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Fantasy camps have become somewhat of a trend in recent years, mainly when it comes to college basketball. Coaches like Bobby Knight and John Calipari have famously lent their names to a few both on campus and off, and given the select few who fork over the dough the chance to be yelled at by and run wind sprints for them.
Now, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, along with various other legends of the game, are throwing themselves into the fantasy camp foray with one in Las Vegas. A mega-fantasy camp, if you will, for college basketball enthusiasts.
The camp, which centers around Team USA Basketball, will take place July 23-25. It will cost anyone wanting a shot to learn from the legends $7,500. Guests of the camp will stay at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel, watch the U.S. National Team practice — that means hanging out with LeBron James, Dewyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and the bunch — and attend the team’s Blue-White Scrimmage. On the court, attendees will go through drills and eventually get to lace them up in a pool play event that will lead to playoffs and a championship game.
But the fee will get you more than just Boeheim’s attention, other prominent coaches will give their time to the effort. This includes Calipari, Billy Donovan of Florida, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Dan Majerle (who coaches at Division II Grand Canyon), Villanova’s Jay Wright, Washington’s Lorenzo Romar, and former NBA and Seton Hall head coach P.J. Carlesimo, who is the camp’s director.
There will be a maximum of 64 spots available for the camp. The event, which is in its inaugural year, is open to men and women.
“This is about being a part of the ultimate team and experiencing what it feels like to represent your country,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Chairman. “The Fantasy Camp will provide a select few with a real-life opportunity to be a part of the preparation for 2016.”
For $7,500, this is a pretty sweet deal. You get to hang with Team USA, listen to the expertise of a ton of great coaches who have forgotten more about basketball than most of us know, and also get to leave with a solid amount of USA Basketball apparel and such.
There’s no way I could get NBC to send me there, right? I mean, of course, just for coverage purposes….
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)