Jun 11, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Fantasy camps have become somewhat of a trend in recent years, mainly when it comes to college basketball. Coaches like Bobby Knight and John Calipari have famously lent their names to a few both on campus and off, and given the select few who fork over the dough the chance to be yelled at by and run wind sprints for them.
Now, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, along with various other legends of the game, are throwing themselves into the fantasy camp foray with one in Las Vegas. A mega-fantasy camp, if you will, for college basketball enthusiasts.
The camp, which centers around Team USA Basketball, will take place July 23-25. It will cost anyone wanting a shot to learn from the legends $7,500. Guests of the camp will stay at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel, watch the U.S. National Team practice — that means hanging out with LeBron James, Dewyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and the bunch — and attend the team’s Blue-White Scrimmage. On the court, attendees will go through drills and eventually get to lace them up in a pool play event that will lead to playoffs and a championship game.
But the fee will get you more than just Boeheim’s attention, other prominent coaches will give their time to the effort. This includes Calipari, Billy Donovan of Florida, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Dan Majerle (who coaches at Division II Grand Canyon), Villanova’s Jay Wright, Washington’s Lorenzo Romar, and former NBA and Seton Hall head coach P.J. Carlesimo, who is the camp’s director.
There will be a maximum of 64 spots available for the camp. The event, which is in its inaugural year, is open to men and women.
“This is about being a part of the ultimate team and experiencing what it feels like to represent your country,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Chairman. “The Fantasy Camp will provide a select few with a real-life opportunity to be a part of the preparation for 2016.”
For $7,500, this is a pretty sweet deal. You get to hang with Team USA, listen to the expertise of a ton of great coaches who have forgotten more about basketball than most of us know, and also get to leave with a solid amount of USA Basketball apparel and such.
There’s no way I could get NBC to send me there, right? I mean, of course, just for coverage purposes….
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)