Jun 11, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Fantasy camps have become somewhat of a trend in recent years, mainly when it comes to college basketball. Coaches like Bobby Knight and John Calipari have famously lent their names to a few both on campus and off, and given the select few who fork over the dough the chance to be yelled at by and run wind sprints for them.
Now, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, along with various other legends of the game, are throwing themselves into the fantasy camp foray with one in Las Vegas. A mega-fantasy camp, if you will, for college basketball enthusiasts.
The camp, which centers around Team USA Basketball, will take place July 23-25. It will cost anyone wanting a shot to learn from the legends $7,500. Guests of the camp will stay at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel, watch the U.S. National Team practice — that means hanging out with LeBron James, Dewyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and the bunch — and attend the team’s Blue-White Scrimmage. On the court, attendees will go through drills and eventually get to lace them up in a pool play event that will lead to playoffs and a championship game.
But the fee will get you more than just Boeheim’s attention, other prominent coaches will give their time to the effort. This includes Calipari, Billy Donovan of Florida, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Dan Majerle (who coaches at Division II Grand Canyon), Villanova’s Jay Wright, Washington’s Lorenzo Romar, and former NBA and Seton Hall head coach P.J. Carlesimo, who is the camp’s director.
There will be a maximum of 64 spots available for the camp. The event, which is in its inaugural year, is open to men and women.
“This is about being a part of the ultimate team and experiencing what it feels like to represent your country,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Chairman. “The Fantasy Camp will provide a select few with a real-life opportunity to be a part of the preparation for 2016.”
For $7,500, this is a pretty sweet deal. You get to hang with Team USA, listen to the expertise of a ton of great coaches who have forgotten more about basketball than most of us know, and also get to leave with a solid amount of USA Basketball apparel and such.
There’s no way I could get NBC to send me there, right? I mean, of course, just for coverage purposes….
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)