Jun 11, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Fantasy camps have become somewhat of a trend in recent years, mainly when it comes to college basketball. Coaches like Bobby Knight and John Calipari have famously lent their names to a few both on campus and off, and given the select few who fork over the dough the chance to be yelled at by and run wind sprints for them.
Now, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, along with various other legends of the game, are throwing themselves into the fantasy camp foray with one in Las Vegas. A mega-fantasy camp, if you will, for college basketball enthusiasts.
The camp, which centers around Team USA Basketball, will take place July 23-25. It will cost anyone wanting a shot to learn from the legends $7,500. Guests of the camp will stay at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel, watch the U.S. National Team practice — that means hanging out with LeBron James, Dewyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and the bunch — and attend the team’s Blue-White Scrimmage. On the court, attendees will go through drills and eventually get to lace them up in a pool play event that will lead to playoffs and a championship game.
But the fee will get you more than just Boeheim’s attention, other prominent coaches will give their time to the effort. This includes Calipari, Billy Donovan of Florida, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Dan Majerle (who coaches at Division II Grand Canyon), Villanova’s Jay Wright, Washington’s Lorenzo Romar, and former NBA and Seton Hall head coach P.J. Carlesimo, who is the camp’s director.
There will be a maximum of 64 spots available for the camp. The event, which is in its inaugural year, is open to men and women.
“This is about being a part of the ultimate team and experiencing what it feels like to represent your country,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Chairman. “The Fantasy Camp will provide a select few with a real-life opportunity to be a part of the preparation for 2016.”
For $7,500, this is a pretty sweet deal. You get to hang with Team USA, listen to the expertise of a ton of great coaches who have forgotten more about basketball than most of us know, and also get to leave with a solid amount of USA Basketball apparel and such.
There’s no way I could get NBC to send me there, right? I mean, of course, just for coverage purposes….
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)