Jun 12, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
First-year Texas Tech head coach Tubby Smith landed his fourth commitment in the 2013 class Wednesday, as 6-3 point guard Randy Onwuasor committed to attend the school as reported by Ben Weixlmann of Scout.com.
Texas Tech later released a statement announcing the signing of Onwuasor, who attended Inglewood High School in Inglewood, Calif.
Onwuasor earned Ocean League Most Outstanding Player honors as a senior, posting averages of 15.5 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. Also recruited by Cal-State Fullerton, LSU, Miami (Ohio) and Saint Louis, Onwuasor joins junior college transfer Robert Turner and freshmen Alex Foster and Cory Scott in Smith’s inaugural recruiting class at Texas Tech.
“We believe that Randy adds some depth to our backcourt that we need. He has obviously had a good scholastic career. He is a very talented and very physical guard that can play both the point and shooting guard positions,” Smith said of Onwuasor in the school release.
“I think he fits our style of play and is one of three incoming freshmen that really improves our recruiting class. He also gives us a connection to California where we have had some success in the past in recruiting and we want to continue that in the future.”
With the signing of Onwuasor, Texas Tech continues to embark on the task of reshaping the roster after a 2012-13 season that lacked continuity. It all began with the dismissal of Billy Gillispie, and there’s also the tendency for roster changes to occur when going from one coach (interim head coach Chris Walker) to another (Smith).
The good news for the Red Raiders is that both Jaye Crockett and Jordan Tolbert are expected to return next season. Crockett (12.1 ppg, 6.7 rpg) and Tolbert (9.8, 5.4) led the team in both scoring and rebounding last season, and their decision to return to Lubbock will help the newcomers.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)