Jun 12, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
The summer months are important ones for college programs, and not only because of the skill development of players in the program and the need to hit the recruiting trail.
There’s also the act of completing the non-conference schedule for the upcoming season, a task that can be tougher for some schools than others. Wednesday evening Illinois State announced that the school has reached an agreement with VCU for a home-and-home series, with the first game being played in Richmond on Friday, November 8, 2013.
The Redbirds will host the Rams during the 2014-15 season, but a date for that matchup has not been determined.
“I am very excited about starting this series with VCU,” Illinois State head coach Dan Muller said in a statement released by the school. “They are well-coached, play extremely hard and have had a lot of success recently.
“Playing at VCU gives us a chance to play in a hostile environment this year, which is a goal for me in scheduling. (VCU head coach) Shaka Smart’s teams are always going to compete and be prepared, and bringing them back the following year should be very exciting for our fan base.”
An interesting fact about this series is that Muller played in last two meetings between the programs, with VCU currently holding a 3-1 edge.
The last time the Redbirds faced VCU, Muller was a sophomore on the court. In fact, he led all scorers with 19 points and seven rebounds to help ISU in a narrow, 74-72, loss at VCU, Dec. 23, 1995. Muller was also in uniform during VCU’s only trip to Redbird Arena. As a freshman, he netted 15 points with nine rebounds to lift Illinois State to its lone win against the Rams, 77-68, Dec. 18, 1994.
Last season Illinois State did a solid job of taking care of the basketball, as they averaged just over 13 turnovers per game. That will be a key for the Redbirds at the Siegel Center in November, as VCU forced an average of 19.7 turnovers per game in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)