Jun 12, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Donnavan Kirk is headed back to Miami, where he will take part in his fifth season as a college hooper and, in all likelihood, end his career as one of the NCAA’s biggest headaches.
Kirk’s had one of the more interesting careers that you’ll come across.
A top 100 recruit in the Class of 2009, Kirk began his collegiate career as a Hurricane, but only managed to play in four games during the 2009-2010 season due to injury. He was given a medical redshirt for the year, and suited up in 2010 as a freshman in the NCAA’s eyes.
But midway through the season, Kirk decided to leave the program, transferring to DePaul after averaging just 2.7 points in 9.5 minutes. Since DePaul is on a weird academic schedule — they use quarters instead of semesters — Kirk was able to weasel his way through an NCAA loophole and become eligible just two games into the 2011-2012 season. The requirement for sitting out during a transfer is either two full semesters or three full quarters, and Kirk was able to enroll early enough that his finished his third quarter in November.
He essentially spent two full years in Chicago, where he averaged 6.2 points and 3.9 boards this past season.
But Kirk wants to go back south, and according to multiple reports, he’s settled on … Miami.
Since Kirk has graduated, he’ll be eligible to receive a graduate transfer exception, which is why he’ll be allowed to play his final year of eligibility in Coral Gables.
It’s not exactly like Jim Larranaga is adding a future lottery pick, but the ‘Canes had some pretty good luck with veteran front court players last season, and with Kenny Kadji, Reggie Johnson and Julian Gamble all gone, they need all the front court pieces they can get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)