Jun 12, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Donnavan Kirk is headed back to Miami, where he will take part in his fifth season as a college hooper and, in all likelihood, end his career as one of the NCAA’s biggest headaches.
Kirk’s had one of the more interesting careers that you’ll come across.
A top 100 recruit in the Class of 2009, Kirk began his collegiate career as a Hurricane, but only managed to play in four games during the 2009-2010 season due to injury. He was given a medical redshirt for the year, and suited up in 2010 as a freshman in the NCAA’s eyes.
But midway through the season, Kirk decided to leave the program, transferring to DePaul after averaging just 2.7 points in 9.5 minutes. Since DePaul is on a weird academic schedule — they use quarters instead of semesters — Kirk was able to weasel his way through an NCAA loophole and become eligible just two games into the 2011-2012 season. The requirement for sitting out during a transfer is either two full semesters or three full quarters, and Kirk was able to enroll early enough that his finished his third quarter in November.
He essentially spent two full years in Chicago, where he averaged 6.2 points and 3.9 boards this past season.
But Kirk wants to go back south, and according to multiple reports, he’s settled on … Miami.
Since Kirk has graduated, he’ll be eligible to receive a graduate transfer exception, which is why he’ll be allowed to play his final year of eligibility in Coral Gables.
It’s not exactly like Jim Larranaga is adding a future lottery pick, but the ‘Canes had some pretty good luck with veteran front court players last season, and with Kenny Kadji, Reggie Johnson and Julian Gamble all gone, they need all the front court pieces they can get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)