Jun 12, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago we discussed the internal push that the SEC is making to try and shore up their weak non-conference schedules.
Long story short: part of the reason that the SEC only managed to get three teams into the 2013 NCAA tournament — and one of the reasons that they had three teams sitting right on the wrong side of the bubble — is that so many teams in the league had poor non-conference schedules.
That brings down their individual RPIs, and that, in turn, brings down the RPI of the teams in the league once conference play kicks off.
So the SEC brought in former NCAA tournament czar Greg Shaheen to try and solve this problem, and it seems as if he’s gotten is message across.
And that’s good news for more than just the potential bubble-dwellers in the SEC. There are going to be some good mid-major programs that benefit as well. Enter Wichita State, who just added a home-and-home series with Alabama to one that they had already scheduled with Tennessee.
“We’ve entertained several calls since the SEC meeting broke up,” senior associate athletic director Darren Boatright told Kansas.com.
Wichita State-Alabama won’t exactly be a circle-your-calendar kind of game, but it will be more entertaining than seeing, say, Alabama play Alabama State and Wichita State play UMKC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)