Jun 12, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago we discussed the internal push that the SEC is making to try and shore up their weak non-conference schedules.
Long story short: part of the reason that the SEC only managed to get three teams into the 2013 NCAA tournament — and one of the reasons that they had three teams sitting right on the wrong side of the bubble — is that so many teams in the league had poor non-conference schedules.
That brings down their individual RPIs, and that, in turn, brings down the RPI of the teams in the league once conference play kicks off.
So the SEC brought in former NCAA tournament czar Greg Shaheen to try and solve this problem, and it seems as if he’s gotten is message across.
And that’s good news for more than just the potential bubble-dwellers in the SEC. There are going to be some good mid-major programs that benefit as well. Enter Wichita State, who just added a home-and-home series with Alabama to one that they had already scheduled with Tennessee.
“We’ve entertained several calls since the SEC meeting broke up,” senior associate athletic director Darren Boatright told Kansas.com.
Wichita State-Alabama won’t exactly be a circle-your-calendar kind of game, but it will be more entertaining than seeing, say, Alabama play Alabama State and Wichita State play UMKC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)