Jun 12, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago we discussed the internal push that the SEC is making to try and shore up their weak non-conference schedules.
Long story short: part of the reason that the SEC only managed to get three teams into the 2013 NCAA tournament — and one of the reasons that they had three teams sitting right on the wrong side of the bubble — is that so many teams in the league had poor non-conference schedules.
That brings down their individual RPIs, and that, in turn, brings down the RPI of the teams in the league once conference play kicks off.
So the SEC brought in former NCAA tournament czar Greg Shaheen to try and solve this problem, and it seems as if he’s gotten is message across.
And that’s good news for more than just the potential bubble-dwellers in the SEC. There are going to be some good mid-major programs that benefit as well. Enter Wichita State, who just added a home-and-home series with Alabama to one that they had already scheduled with Tennessee.
“We’ve entertained several calls since the SEC meeting broke up,” senior associate athletic director Darren Boatright told Kansas.com.
Wichita State-Alabama won’t exactly be a circle-your-calendar kind of game, but it will be more entertaining than seeing, say, Alabama play Alabama State and Wichita State play UMKC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)