Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
Patrick Stevens, a former newspaperman for the Washington Times that currently covers college sports in the DMV over at his website D1Scourse, put together a comprehensive list of the coaching tenures for all Division I head coaches.
It’s yeoman’s work, especially when you consider that there are currently four Division I head coaches still working at the program that hired them in the 80s when they weren’t DI yet.
And while it may not be the best reading to browse through a list of dates for 351 head coaches, the link is worth a click simply for some of the numbers that Stevens’ crunched. For example:
– Did you know that half of all Division I head coaches were hired at their current job after April 8th, 2010? Or that 25% of those head coaches have been on the job for less than 15 months?
– To get a better idea of the kind of turnover there is in the college ranks, since the current crops of rising seniors first became eligible to sign a letter of intent in November of 2009, five out of every nine head coaching jobs have seen a change.
– My favorite stat, however, is that there are only three power conference coaches that are currently four years into their tenure and have yet to make an NCAA tournament. All three are from the Pac-12: Oregon State’s Craig Robinson, Stanford’s Johnny Dawkins and Washington State’s Ken Bone.
There’s plenty of more juicy goodness in Stevens’ post. Give it a click and go ahead and browse.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)