Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
Patrick Stevens, a former newspaperman for the Washington Times that currently covers college sports in the DMV over at his website D1Scourse, put together a comprehensive list of the coaching tenures for all Division I head coaches.
It’s yeoman’s work, especially when you consider that there are currently four Division I head coaches still working at the program that hired them in the 80s when they weren’t DI yet.
And while it may not be the best reading to browse through a list of dates for 351 head coaches, the link is worth a click simply for some of the numbers that Stevens’ crunched. For example:
– Did you know that half of all Division I head coaches were hired at their current job after April 8th, 2010? Or that 25% of those head coaches have been on the job for less than 15 months?
– To get a better idea of the kind of turnover there is in the college ranks, since the current crops of rising seniors first became eligible to sign a letter of intent in November of 2009, five out of every nine head coaching jobs have seen a change.
– My favorite stat, however, is that there are only three power conference coaches that are currently four years into their tenure and have yet to make an NCAA tournament. All three are from the Pac-12: Oregon State’s Craig Robinson, Stanford’s Johnny Dawkins and Washington State’s Ken Bone.
There’s plenty of more juicy goodness in Stevens’ post. Give it a click and go ahead and browse.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)