Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
Patrick Stevens, a former newspaperman for the Washington Times that currently covers college sports in the DMV over at his website D1Scourse, put together a comprehensive list of the coaching tenures for all Division I head coaches.
It’s yeoman’s work, especially when you consider that there are currently four Division I head coaches still working at the program that hired them in the 80s when they weren’t DI yet.
And while it may not be the best reading to browse through a list of dates for 351 head coaches, the link is worth a click simply for some of the numbers that Stevens’ crunched. For example:
- Did you know that half of all Division I head coaches were hired at their current job after April 8th, 2010? Or that 25% of those head coaches have been on the job for less than 15 months?
- To get a better idea of the kind of turnover there is in the college ranks, since the current crops of rising seniors first became eligible to sign a letter of intent in November of 2009, five out of every nine head coaching jobs have seen a change.
- My favorite stat, however, is that there are only three power conference coaches that are currently four years into their tenure and have yet to make an NCAA tournament. All three are from the Pac-12: Oregon State’s Craig Robinson, Stanford’s Johnny Dawkins and Washington State’s Ken Bone.
There’s plenty of more juicy goodness in Stevens’ post. Give it a click and go ahead and browse.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 0
- Shabazz Napier hits game-winner, runs out of the arena (VIDEO) 0
- College Hoops Week in Review: Villanova, Xavier Thames shine in holiday tourneys 1
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 2
- Coach K not a fan of the fascination with one-and-done freshmen (6)
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Ron Baker, No. 12 Wichita State take CBE Classic title over BYU (2)