Jun 13, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Much has been made of the powerhouse front court that Florida has heading into the 2013-2014 season, but over the last couple of months, some doubt has slowly but surely crept up as to whether or not the Gators will end up having the nation’s best crop of big men.
It starts with health issues. Both Patric Young and Will Yeguete, the two veterans that Billy Donovan has returning in the paint, have undergone relatively minor offseason surgeries; Young on his ankle, Yeguete on his ailing knee.
Both are expected to be back and healthy by the time the season rolls around.
The bigger concern right now may actually be incoming freshman Chris Walker. A top ten recruit, Walker has worlds of potential thanks to his length and athleticism, but he still has some work to do if he’s going to see the court in the 2013-2014 season.
The 6-foot-9 Walker is still taking three academic courses online with the Florida virtual school to finish core requirements, according to his high school coach at Bonifay, Poe White. He also took the ACT for the third time last Saturday.
“He’s improved each time, from 13 to 16,” White said. “So we’re hoping with a higher test score and if he finishes his courses, he’ll be ready to go.”
Asked if Walker would be able to finish his online courses by the time the Summer B session begins July 1, White said: “It depends on how fast he works. They are online courses, but he can get them done by late June, early July.”
Waiting to get your academic course work finished for the summer before you enroll in college is a risky deal.
A healthy Young and Yeguete and an eligible Walker would be huge for the Gators, as their back court isn’t exactly deep right now. Scottie Wilbekin is currently suspended, and Eli Carter has yet to hear whether or not he will be eligible immediately.
Florida has some pieces, we just need to find out which ones will be on the floor for them this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)