Jun 13, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Much has been made of the powerhouse front court that Florida has heading into the 2013-2014 season, but over the last couple of months, some doubt has slowly but surely crept up as to whether or not the Gators will end up having the nation’s best crop of big men.
It starts with health issues. Both Patric Young and Will Yeguete, the two veterans that Billy Donovan has returning in the paint, have undergone relatively minor offseason surgeries; Young on his ankle, Yeguete on his ailing knee.
Both are expected to be back and healthy by the time the season rolls around.
The bigger concern right now may actually be incoming freshman Chris Walker. A top ten recruit, Walker has worlds of potential thanks to his length and athleticism, but he still has some work to do if he’s going to see the court in the 2013-2014 season.
The 6-foot-9 Walker is still taking three academic courses online with the Florida virtual school to finish core requirements, according to his high school coach at Bonifay, Poe White. He also took the ACT for the third time last Saturday.
“He’s improved each time, from 13 to 16,” White said. “So we’re hoping with a higher test score and if he finishes his courses, he’ll be ready to go.”
Asked if Walker would be able to finish his online courses by the time the Summer B session begins July 1, White said: “It depends on how fast he works. They are online courses, but he can get them done by late June, early July.”
Waiting to get your academic course work finished for the summer before you enroll in college is a risky deal.
A healthy Young and Yeguete and an eligible Walker would be huge for the Gators, as their back court isn’t exactly deep right now. Scottie Wilbekin is currently suspended, and Eli Carter has yet to hear whether or not he will be eligible immediately.
Florida has some pieces, we just need to find out which ones will be on the floor for them this season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)