Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
NASCAR driver Brian Vickers is taking a risk.
The North Carolina native will be donning all Louisville everything — hat, fire-suit, racecar — as he heads to the the Kentucky Speedway for a Sprint Cup Series race on June 29th.
“This will certainly help my popularity with local fans that weekend,” Vickers said in a statement, which I’m not so sure is true. You have to wonder if he realizes that once you get outside of Louisville’s city limits, it’s safer to don blue than, well, this:
Louisville has none nothing but win, seemingly regardless of the sport, this school year, so while Vickers may find himself booed by the Big Blue Nation, he’ll undoubtedly be hoping some of that luck rubs off.
“I’m a big fan of sports in general so to have the national champions on board is a huge honor,” Vickers continued. “They are winners and it’s always cool to surround yourself with success. Our goal is to make them proud.”
“We’re thrilled Aaron’s and Brian Vickers have chosen to run the Louisville colors during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at Kentucky Speedway,” Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino said. “I know how many Louisville basketball fans are NASCAR fans, and like them I’m looking forward to seeing the car on the track. I think one of those die cast cars might eventually make it to my office. I’ve seen the paint scheme and it’s really sharp.”
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)