Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
NASCAR driver Brian Vickers is taking a risk.
The North Carolina native will be donning all Louisville everything — hat, fire-suit, racecar — as he heads to the the Kentucky Speedway for a Sprint Cup Series race on June 29th.
“This will certainly help my popularity with local fans that weekend,” Vickers said in a statement, which I’m not so sure is true. You have to wonder if he realizes that once you get outside of Louisville’s city limits, it’s safer to don blue than, well, this:
Louisville has none nothing but win, seemingly regardless of the sport, this school year, so while Vickers may find himself booed by the Big Blue Nation, he’ll undoubtedly be hoping some of that luck rubs off.
“I’m a big fan of sports in general so to have the national champions on board is a huge honor,” Vickers continued. “They are winners and it’s always cool to surround yourself with success. Our goal is to make them proud.”
“We’re thrilled Aaron’s and Brian Vickers have chosen to run the Louisville colors during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at Kentucky Speedway,” Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino said. “I know how many Louisville basketball fans are NASCAR fans, and like them I’m looking forward to seeing the car on the track. I think one of those die cast cars might eventually make it to my office. I’ve seen the paint scheme and it’s really sharp.”
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
Cornell transfer Nolan Cressler has committed to Vanderbilt.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)