Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
NASCAR driver Brian Vickers is taking a risk.
The North Carolina native will be donning all Louisville everything — hat, fire-suit, racecar — as he heads to the the Kentucky Speedway for a Sprint Cup Series race on June 29th.
“This will certainly help my popularity with local fans that weekend,” Vickers said in a statement, which I’m not so sure is true. You have to wonder if he realizes that once you get outside of Louisville’s city limits, it’s safer to don blue than, well, this:
Louisville has none nothing but win, seemingly regardless of the sport, this school year, so while Vickers may find himself booed by the Big Blue Nation, he’ll undoubtedly be hoping some of that luck rubs off.
“I’m a big fan of sports in general so to have the national champions on board is a huge honor,” Vickers continued. “They are winners and it’s always cool to surround yourself with success. Our goal is to make them proud.”
“We’re thrilled Aaron’s and Brian Vickers have chosen to run the Louisville colors during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at Kentucky Speedway,” Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino said. “I know how many Louisville basketball fans are NASCAR fans, and like them I’m looking forward to seeing the car on the track. I think one of those die cast cars might eventually make it to my office. I’ve seen the paint scheme and it’s really sharp.”
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Khalid El-Amin’s son has game.
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Will Iowa State’s lone 2015 high school commit stay put if Fred Hoiberg leaves?
May 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Oklahoma State badly needed another big man and might have found some help.
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Duke is getting another Parade National Player of the Year.
May 29, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
With Fred Hoiberg being tabbed the frontrunner for the Bulls job, Hornacek’s name has come up as a possible replacement in Ames.
May 29, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Jones will undergo surgery June 1 in Baltimore.
May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
The last time these two teams met at a neutral site was back in 1992.
May 29, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Kansas also has plans to host former Providence center Paschal Chukwu in early June.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)