Jun 13, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
On the heels of his second Sweet 16 (or further) trip in four seasons at Arizona, head coach Sean Miller’s contract extension through the 2017-18 season was approved by the Arizona Board of Regents on Thursday.
An interesting aspect of the extension is the fact that according to Arizona director of athletics Greg Byrne, Miller requested that his salary not be increased for the fifth year of the deal (2017-18).
“When coach Miller and I sat down for our annual end-of-the-year discussion, he was very appreciative of president (Ann Weaver) Hart and my willingness to seek an extension of his contract back to five years,” Byrne said via text message. “He requested during that discussion to keep his fifth year salary at the same level as year four.
“We are very pleased that Sean is our coach and we want him to be for many years, to continue to build on the incredible academic and competitive momentum he has already led during his time at the University of Arizona.”
According to Bruce Pascoe of the Arizona Daily Star, Miller is due to receive $2.3 million next season and there are also academic and performance bonuses that he can earn. Miller will receive $2.6 million per year in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 season.
In four seasons at Arizona Miller has a record of 96 wins and 43 losses, with the Wildcats going 27-8 in 2012-13. Arizona has reached the NCAA tournament in two of those four seasons, with their runs being ended in close defeats to UConn (2011 Elite Eight) and Ohio State (Sweet 16 last season).
The Wildcats lose a trio of seniors in Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom, but many have made Arizona the early favorite to win the Pac-12. Aaron Gordon and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are the headliners in a very good recruiting class, and Duquesne transfer T.J. McConnell will take over at point guard.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)