Jun 13, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
On the heels of his second Sweet 16 (or further) trip in four seasons at Arizona, head coach Sean Miller’s contract extension through the 2017-18 season was approved by the Arizona Board of Regents on Thursday.
An interesting aspect of the extension is the fact that according to Arizona director of athletics Greg Byrne, Miller requested that his salary not be increased for the fifth year of the deal (2017-18).
“When coach Miller and I sat down for our annual end-of-the-year discussion, he was very appreciative of president (Ann Weaver) Hart and my willingness to seek an extension of his contract back to five years,” Byrne said via text message. “He requested during that discussion to keep his fifth year salary at the same level as year four.
“We are very pleased that Sean is our coach and we want him to be for many years, to continue to build on the incredible academic and competitive momentum he has already led during his time at the University of Arizona.”
According to Bruce Pascoe of the Arizona Daily Star, Miller is due to receive $2.3 million next season and there are also academic and performance bonuses that he can earn. Miller will receive $2.6 million per year in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 season.
In four seasons at Arizona Miller has a record of 96 wins and 43 losses, with the Wildcats going 27-8 in 2012-13. Arizona has reached the NCAA tournament in two of those four seasons, with their runs being ended in close defeats to UConn (2011 Elite Eight) and Ohio State (Sweet 16 last season).
The Wildcats lose a trio of seniors in Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom, but many have made Arizona the early favorite to win the Pac-12. Aaron Gordon and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are the headliners in a very good recruiting class, and Duquesne transfer T.J. McConnell will take over at point guard.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)