Jun 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
When Dan Muller was hired as the new head coach at Illinois State, it was stipulated that assistant coach Rob Judson would be a member of his coaching staff. Judson spent the prior five seasons as a member of Tim Jankovich’s staff, and the move was an interesting one given the fact that most new coaches look to bring in a completely different staff.
After one season on Muller’s staff Judson has stepped down to pursue other opporturnities, according to a report by Randy Kindred of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph. Judson will receive a buyout of $175,000 as part of the agreement.
“I want to thank Rob for his commitment and contributions to our program this year, and over the past six years,” Muller said in a statement released by the school. “I enjoyed our year together and wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”
Judson helped lead the Redbirds to a record of 122-79 and four Postseason NIT appearances. According to Kindred’s story, Judson was a finalist for the head coaching position last year following Jankovich’s move to SMU.
The move leaves Muller with an opening to fill on his coaching staff, with associate head coach Dana Ward and assistant Torrey Ward currently on staff. The question now is whether or not Muller has a replacement in mind with the first evaluation period less than a month away (July 10).
Illinois State has just one senior on its roster for the 2013-14 season, but with five juniors this is an important summer recruiting-wise when it comes to making inroads with 2014 and 2015 prospects (2015 prospects can begin receiving phone calls at midnight tonight).
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 0
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 7
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)