Jun 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
When Dan Muller was hired as the new head coach at Illinois State, it was stipulated that assistant coach Rob Judson would be a member of his coaching staff. Judson spent the prior five seasons as a member of Tim Jankovich’s staff, and the move was an interesting one given the fact that most new coaches look to bring in a completely different staff.
After one season on Muller’s staff Judson has stepped down to pursue other opporturnities, according to a report by Randy Kindred of the Bloomington (Ill.) Pantagraph. Judson will receive a buyout of $175,000 as part of the agreement.
“I want to thank Rob for his commitment and contributions to our program this year, and over the past six years,” Muller said in a statement released by the school. “I enjoyed our year together and wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”
Judson helped lead the Redbirds to a record of 122-79 and four Postseason NIT appearances. According to Kindred’s story, Judson was a finalist for the head coaching position last year following Jankovich’s move to SMU.
The move leaves Muller with an opening to fill on his coaching staff, with associate head coach Dana Ward and assistant Torrey Ward currently on staff. The question now is whether or not Muller has a replacement in mind with the first evaluation period less than a month away (July 10).
Illinois State has just one senior on its roster for the 2013-14 season, but with five juniors this is an important summer recruiting-wise when it comes to making inroads with 2014 and 2015 prospects (2015 prospects can begin receiving phone calls at midnight tonight).
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)