Jun 14, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
With Ashley Howard leaving the Xavier coaching staff to join Jay Wright at Villanova, head coach Chris Mack had a vacancy to fill before the Musketeers officially join the Big East on July 1.
According to Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer that’s been done, as former Missouri assistant Rick Carter will fill the position. Prior to his one season at Missouri, Carter spent four seasons on Steve Hawkins’ staff at Western Michigan.
Carter’s connection to current Missouri assistant Tim Fuller (both were members of Ed Cooley’s staff at Fairfield) played a role in Frank Haith hiring him last summer. In the aftermath of Carter’s decision to resign earlier this week, it was rumored that he would make the move to Xavier.
“Rick is a talented coach and a relentless recruiter,” Haith said in a statement announcing his hiring of Carter last year. “He has a great basketball background working for Steve Hawkins at Western Michigan, Ed Cooley at Fairfield and of course Tom Izzo at Michigan State and he has connections to a couple members of our staff, so I really liked the instant fit.”
With the first live recruiting period less than a month away (July 10), the sooner a head coach fills out his coaching staff the better. With all positions accounted for, it becomes that much easier to divvy up responsibilities for July, whether it’s regarding the evaluation of recruits or working with the players currently in the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)