Jun 14, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
With Ashley Howard leaving the Xavier coaching staff to join Jay Wright at Villanova, head coach Chris Mack had a vacancy to fill before the Musketeers officially join the Big East on July 1.
According to Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer that’s been done, as former Missouri assistant Rick Carter will fill the position. Prior to his one season at Missouri, Carter spent four seasons on Steve Hawkins’ staff at Western Michigan.
Carter’s connection to current Missouri assistant Tim Fuller (both were members of Ed Cooley’s staff at Fairfield) played a role in Frank Haith hiring him last summer. In the aftermath of Carter’s decision to resign earlier this week, it was rumored that he would make the move to Xavier.
“Rick is a talented coach and a relentless recruiter,” Haith said in a statement announcing his hiring of Carter last year. “He has a great basketball background working for Steve Hawkins at Western Michigan, Ed Cooley at Fairfield and of course Tom Izzo at Michigan State and he has connections to a couple members of our staff, so I really liked the instant fit.”
With the first live recruiting period less than a month away (July 10), the sooner a head coach fills out his coaching staff the better. With all positions accounted for, it becomes that much easier to divvy up responsibilities for July, whether it’s regarding the evaluation of recruits or working with the players currently in the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 10
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)