Jun 14, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
How many expected the latest (and likely, final) twist in the Jerome Seagears story?
In the days following the end of the regular season, the Rutgers sophomore guard decided that he needed to leave New Brunswick. Seagears, who averaged 6.5 points and 2.6 assists per game, originally decided to transfer to Auburn but just over a month after making the decision it was announced that he was leaving the school.
In a statement released by Auburn, head coach Tony Barbee said that it was important to Seagears that he complete his college career at a school closer to his family. Seagears has made his decision, as he will return to Rutgers according to a report from Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger. Seagears will be eligible to play immediately.
This is good news for the Scarlet Knights, as new head coach Eddie Jordan will have another experienced guard to pair with junior Myles Mack. Rutgers also added three junior college transfers during the spring in Craig Brown, D’Von Campbell and Bishop Daniels.
There will be questions in the aftermath of Seagears’ decision to return to Rutgers, one of which being whether or not he acted too quickly in making the decision to transfer to Auburn.
But with today’s news, it’s apparent that Seagears believes the issues that led to his initial decision have been properly addressed.
“I believe everything happens for a reason and God has a plan for everybody,” Seagears said in a statement released by the school. “I believe this is his plan for me, to return home to my Scarlet Knights. I have experienced a lot of uncertainty over the last several months and I look forward to continuing my college career where it started.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4