Jun 14, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Just over a week ago, Louisville guard Kevin Ware made an appearance at a stop on the athletic department’s “Cardinal Caravan” tour.
What came as a surprise to many was the fact that Ware was walking without the aid of crutches just two months after suffering a terrible leg injury in Louisville’s Midwest regional final game against Duke.
In what was a chilling moment for all involved, Ware provided the motivational spark his teammates needed as he implored them to go win the game. It was a selfless act to say the least, and Louisville would go on to heed Ware’s words (85-63 win over the Blue Devils) on their way to the program’s third national title.
During his appearance at Captain’s Quarters, Ware said the following to the Louisville Courier-Journal about using his position to help others in need:
“A guy wrote me from in jail and wanted me to reach out to his brother,” Ware said. “People like that I don’t have a problem at all, just trying to do something for them when they’re trying to do something for me. So many people just really show so much support, that has to humble you.”
The latest example of Ware reaching out to those in need occurred Thursday, when he visited 14-year old Brianna Boel at Kosair’s Childrens Hospital Thursday afternoon. Boel was one of two teenagers hit by a car in Louisville, suffering a fractured skull, wrist and right leg as a result. According to reports, the second victim’s injuries were not as severe.
Boel’s father, News 3 anchor John Boel, wrote on his Facebook page that he used Ware’s example to calm his daughter.
“I played the Kevin Ware card in trying to relax Bree,” John wrote, “reminding her what he was able to accomplish right away, and I was surprised at how well it worked. Thank you Kevin, one more time, for your inspiration in the real world.”
And after hearing Boel’s story there was Ware, cheering her up and even signing the following message on her cast: “Pinky promise. You will be fine.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)