Jun 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
This post has less to do with college hoops than it does with a severe case of college hoops fandom.
And road trips.
We all know how I feel about college basketball road trips.
But what Troy and I did for 23 straights days back in the winter of 2012 pales in comparison to what Ryan Clark — better known as @LonghornRdTp — did over the course of the last seven years: attend 254 consecutive Texas Longhorn basketball games.
Home and away.
I had the pleasure of running into Ryan on a couple of different occasions throughout my travels, and he’s a really nice guy. Passionate about his horns and a little off his rocker — he has to be to travel more than 150,000 miles over the last seven seasons to watch Texas play basketball — but mostly just a regular sports fan willing to do what the rest of us only dreamed of doing.
Well, his travels have come to an end, as Eamonn Brennan detailed in this feature on Clark. Real life has gotten in the way; things like a job and a fiancée, who he proposed to during Texas’ trip to the Maui Invitational last season.
So, Ryan, consider this a hearty farewell and a resounding congratulations from all of us at CBT.
Here’s to hoping you survive a winter watching hoops on TV!
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 32
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (33)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)