Jun 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
This post has less to do with college hoops than it does with a severe case of college hoops fandom.
And road trips.
We all know how I feel about college basketball road trips.
But what Troy and I did for 23 straights days back in the winter of 2012 pales in comparison to what Ryan Clark — better known as @LonghornRdTp — did over the course of the last seven years: attend 254 consecutive Texas Longhorn basketball games.
Home and away.
I had the pleasure of running into Ryan on a couple of different occasions throughout my travels, and he’s a really nice guy. Passionate about his horns and a little off his rocker — he has to be to travel more than 150,000 miles over the last seven seasons to watch Texas play basketball — but mostly just a regular sports fan willing to do what the rest of us only dreamed of doing.
Well, his travels have come to an end, as Eamonn Brennan detailed in this feature on Clark. Real life has gotten in the way; things like a job and a fiancée, who he proposed to during Texas’ trip to the Maui Invitational last season.
So, Ryan, consider this a hearty farewell and a resounding congratulations from all of us at CBT.
Here’s to hoping you survive a winter watching hoops on TV!
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)