Jun 15, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Lots of big news coming out of East Tennessee State these days.
First, the Buccaneers, along with VMI and Mercer announced that they will be joining the Southern Conference in July of 2014.
Friday, we learned that head coach Murry Bartow will be adding two new assistant coaches to his staff. As ETSU prepares for the big move (back) to the SoCon, they’ll be breaking in new assistants Bob Bolen – most recently head coach at NAIA power Mountain State College – and Thomas Carr, a fast-rising star coming off a year as a high school coach in Danville, VA.
And it’s not just coaches. One new player has just announced he’ll be joining the Bucs as well:
Darius Forrest (6-6/F/2013) of Mississippi Gulf Coast CC has signed with East Tennessee State.
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 15, 2013
Bartow is the son of legendary coach Gene Bartow (UAB, UCLA, Memphis, Illinois). He took the Buccaneers to an NCAA tournament appearance in 2004, when they were originally in the SoCon, and followed that up with back-to-back bids out of the A-Sun in 2009 and 2010. He’ll be hoping to get back to the promised land again, now that his Bucs are back in the SoCon fold.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)