Jun 15, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Lots of big news coming out of East Tennessee State these days.
First, the Buccaneers, along with VMI and Mercer announced that they will be joining the Southern Conference in July of 2014.
Friday, we learned that head coach Murry Bartow will be adding two new assistant coaches to his staff. As ETSU prepares for the big move (back) to the SoCon, they’ll be breaking in new assistants Bob Bolen – most recently head coach at NAIA power Mountain State College – and Thomas Carr, a fast-rising star coming off a year as a high school coach in Danville, VA.
And it’s not just coaches. One new player has just announced he’ll be joining the Bucs as well:
Darius Forrest (6-6/F/2013) of Mississippi Gulf Coast CC has signed with East Tennessee State.
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 15, 2013
Bartow is the son of legendary coach Gene Bartow (UAB, UCLA, Memphis, Illinois). He took the Buccaneers to an NCAA tournament appearance in 2004, when they were originally in the SoCon, and followed that up with back-to-back bids out of the A-Sun in 2009 and 2010. He’ll be hoping to get back to the promised land again, now that his Bucs are back in the SoCon fold.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)