Jun 15, 2013, 9:52 PM EST
Lots of big news coming out of East Tennessee State these days.
First, the Buccaneers, along with VMI and Mercer announced that they will be joining the Southern Conference in July of 2014.
Friday, we learned that head coach Murry Bartow will be adding two new assistant coaches to his staff. As ETSU prepares for the big move (back) to the SoCon, they’ll be breaking in new assistants Bob Bolen – most recently head coach at NAIA power Mountain State College – and Thomas Carr, a fast-rising star coming off a year as a high school coach in Danville, VA.
And it’s not just coaches. One new player has just announced he’ll be joining the Bucs as well:
Darius Forrest (6-6/F/2013) of Mississippi Gulf Coast CC has signed with East Tennessee State.
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 15, 2013
Bartow is the son of legendary coach Gene Bartow (UAB, UCLA, Memphis, Illinois). He took the Buccaneers to an NCAA tournament appearance in 2004, when they were originally in the SoCon, and followed that up with back-to-back bids out of the A-Sun in 2009 and 2010. He’ll be hoping to get back to the promised land again, now that his Bucs are back in the SoCon fold.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)