Jun 15, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Remember when the Greenberg coaching family seemed to be the kings of southwest Virginia?
Younger brother Seth was the head coach of Virginia Tech, managed to beat a couple of top-25 opponents every season, and was living a pretty charmed life as a result. His older brother Brad, a former NBA GM with the Philadelphia 76ers, had joined him as an assistant coach for a while before heading just down the road to take over at Radford in 2007.
Then it all started to unravel.
In 2010, the NCAA sanctioned Radford – which had won the Big South autobid just one year prior – and the school quickly cut ties with the elder Greenberg. Virginia Tech got tired of almost being an NCAA tournament team a couple years later and let Seth go to the TV ranks.
Nobody paid much attention to the news that Brad Greenberg had been hired as head coach of Maccabi Haifa in 2011. He was hired to turn around a team that had finished last in the Israeli pro league. Mission, as they say, accomplished: one season later, Haifa is a champion, having upset league power Maccabi Tel Aviv on Thursday night.
“This is the greatest achievement I’ve had as a head coach, without a doubt,” said Greenberg by phone early Friday.
Former St. Joseph’s (Pa.) standout Pat Calathes led Haifa with 22 points and 10 rebounds. League MVP Gal Mekel had 21 points and seven assists.
Cool to see a familiar Calathes involved, as well.
Greenberg’s epic, if somewhat obscure, victory has sparked speculation that he may be headed back to the big time of the NBA, where they don’t give a flying fig about a silly little thing like a five year show-cause order.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)