Jun 15, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
Father’s day is one of the most legendary goof-off holidays in human history. Does dad want a tie? No, but he’s getting one anyway. And the old man is so cool, he’ll smile fondly anyway.
Unless dad happens to be a big college hoops fan, in which case you can throw a surprise curveball at him tomorrow. CelebCalls.com is offering up dad-to-dad phoners from John Calipari, Bill Self and even reigning national champion coach Rick Pitino.
If your pops isn’t so enamored of swapping stories with other old dudes, maybe he’ll enjoy the fact that one of his favorite players from last season is now out from under the NCAA thumb and able to make money off of his dialing skills:
— Nerlens Noel (@NerlensNoel3) June 15, 2013
I can personally vouch for the fact that Rick Pitino is a very understanding guy when it comes to fatherly duties. A few years back, I called to set up an interview with him over the summer, and his assistant took my number. And let me tell you, big time coaches NEVER call you back.
Except this one did. He called around 8pm, while I was sitting on the couch watching Pixar movies with my son. In other words, I was completely unready to conduct an interview. I stammered and stuttered for a few minutes as I tried to find my computer and recorder, and finally just admitted to him that I had been watching movies with my son and would take a second to get ready. I thought he’d be pretty annoyed, since he’d taken the time to call me back.
But he just said, somewhat wistfully, that he remembered those days, even though his kids are older now. I guess you don’t get too much time to sit and watch Toy Story 2 when your son is your assistant coach (as Richard Pitino was at that time), let alone head coach at Minnesota (as he is now).
Anyway, happy father’s day, dads, from all of us here at CBT.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)