Jun 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Early last week, Northeastern men’s basketball head coach Bill Coen announced the hiring of David McLaughlin as ‘associate head coach.’ McLaughlin heads to Northeastern after serving as head coach at Stonehill College for ten seasons where he compiled an impressive 189-99 record, including five trips to the Division II NCAA Tournament.
McLaughlin will presumably fill the role that former assistant coach and current UMass Lowell head coach Pat Duquette had for three seasons.
I am thrilled to welcome David McLaughlin to our staff. David possesses the character, knowledge, skill, and work ethic that we look for in members of our staff. He is an energetic recruiter and a talented coach whose Stonehill student-athletes achieved great success on the court and in the classroom. His record speaks for itself. He has an outstanding reputation and is universally respected throughout the basketball profession.
While leaving Stonehill was difficult for McLaughlin, the opportunity Northeastern presented couldn’t be passed on, he explained:
Stonehill has been such an important part of my professional life, as well as my family life. To make a move required a unique opportunity for me, professionally, and for my family. Northeastern provided that unique opportunity. Bill Coen has done a remarkable job. I look forward to learning from him daily and to helping the program in any way that I can.
In a report by the Patriot Ledger, McLaughlin delved into his coaching duties while working alongside Coen:
I’ll be coordinating recruiting, there’ll be on-the-court development of players. It’s great because it’s not a singular duty. I’ll have my hand in a lot of different cookie jars, which is the way I like to do it. Billy is a really, really good coach and I’ll have the ability to learn, too.
Prior to Stonehill, McLaughlin was an assistant coach at Wesleyan University for two seasons, and spent time on the Suffolk University coaching staff.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)