Jun 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Early last week, Northeastern men’s basketball head coach Bill Coen announced the hiring of David McLaughlin as ‘associate head coach.’ McLaughlin heads to Northeastern after serving as head coach at Stonehill College for ten seasons where he compiled an impressive 189-99 record, including five trips to the Division II NCAA Tournament.
McLaughlin will presumably fill the role that former assistant coach and current UMass Lowell head coach Pat Duquette had for three seasons.
I am thrilled to welcome David McLaughlin to our staff. David possesses the character, knowledge, skill, and work ethic that we look for in members of our staff. He is an energetic recruiter and a talented coach whose Stonehill student-athletes achieved great success on the court and in the classroom. His record speaks for itself. He has an outstanding reputation and is universally respected throughout the basketball profession.
While leaving Stonehill was difficult for McLaughlin, the opportunity Northeastern presented couldn’t be passed on, he explained:
Stonehill has been such an important part of my professional life, as well as my family life. To make a move required a unique opportunity for me, professionally, and for my family. Northeastern provided that unique opportunity. Bill Coen has done a remarkable job. I look forward to learning from him daily and to helping the program in any way that I can.
In a report by the Patriot Ledger, McLaughlin delved into his coaching duties while working alongside Coen:
I’ll be coordinating recruiting, there’ll be on-the-court development of players. It’s great because it’s not a singular duty. I’ll have my hand in a lot of different cookie jars, which is the way I like to do it. Billy is a really, really good coach and I’ll have the ability to learn, too.
Prior to Stonehill, McLaughlin was an assistant coach at Wesleyan University for two seasons, and spent time on the Suffolk University coaching staff.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)