Jun 16, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
Former Rutgers forward Derrick Randall has found a new school, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv that the 6-8 rising junior will transfer to Pittsburgh.
Randall didn’t see a great deal of playing time in either of his seasons at Rutgers, averaging just 9.8 minutes per game. In those two seasons Randall, a native of the Bronx, posted averages of 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Randall made the decision to transfer in the aftermath of Mike Rice’s firing.
“It felt like a new home and a new start and I need to get away and start clean,” Randall told Zagoria.
There’s obviously some familiarity between Randall and Pitt, as the Panthers and Scarlet Knights were both members of the Big East. Pittsburgh will officially become a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference on July 1, while Rutgers will spend a season in the American Athletic Conference before moving to the Big Ten in 2014.
In two career games against Pittsburgh, Randall averaged 3.5 points and 1.5 rebounds per game with the Scarlet Knights winning both contests. Randall accounted for seven points and three rebounds in Rutgers’ 62-39 win over the Panthers on January 11, 2012, while failing to tally a point or rebound in a 67-62 victory on January 5, 2013.
According to the report Randall may seek a waiver that would make him eligible to play immediately for the Panthers, who have a lot of production to replace. Seniors Dante Taylor and Tray Woodall have graduated, junior J.J. Moore transferred to Rutgers and freshman Steven Adams entered the NBA Draft.
The most productive returnees for Jamie Dixon are rising seniors Lamar Patterson (10.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg) and Talib Zanna (9.6, 6.1), with rising sophomore guard James Robinson (6.1 ppg, 3.5 apg) expected to take on an even bigger role after averaging nearly 27 minutes per game as a freshman.
Randall joins freshmen Jamel Artis, Josh Newkirk and Mike Young in the Panthers’ 2013 incoming class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)