Jun 16, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
Former Rutgers forward Derrick Randall has found a new school, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv that the 6-8 rising junior will transfer to Pittsburgh.
Randall didn’t see a great deal of playing time in either of his seasons at Rutgers, averaging just 9.8 minutes per game. In those two seasons Randall, a native of the Bronx, posted averages of 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Randall made the decision to transfer in the aftermath of Mike Rice’s firing.
“It felt like a new home and a new start and I need to get away and start clean,” Randall told Zagoria.
There’s obviously some familiarity between Randall and Pitt, as the Panthers and Scarlet Knights were both members of the Big East. Pittsburgh will officially become a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference on July 1, while Rutgers will spend a season in the American Athletic Conference before moving to the Big Ten in 2014.
In two career games against Pittsburgh, Randall averaged 3.5 points and 1.5 rebounds per game with the Scarlet Knights winning both contests. Randall accounted for seven points and three rebounds in Rutgers’ 62-39 win over the Panthers on January 11, 2012, while failing to tally a point or rebound in a 67-62 victory on January 5, 2013.
According to the report Randall may seek a waiver that would make him eligible to play immediately for the Panthers, who have a lot of production to replace. Seniors Dante Taylor and Tray Woodall have graduated, junior J.J. Moore transferred to Rutgers and freshman Steven Adams entered the NBA Draft.
The most productive returnees for Jamie Dixon are rising seniors Lamar Patterson (10.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg) and Talib Zanna (9.6, 6.1), with rising sophomore guard James Robinson (6.1 ppg, 3.5 apg) expected to take on an even bigger role after averaging nearly 27 minutes per game as a freshman.
Randall joins freshmen Jamel Artis, Josh Newkirk and Mike Young in the Panthers’ 2013 incoming class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)