Jun 17, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Alabama’s second-leading scorer Trevor Lacey has decided to transfer to North Carolina State, according to PackPride.com. He will have to sit out the 2013-2014 season per NCAA transfer rules. He will have two years of eligibility left.
“It was a family decision to pursue other opportunities,” Lacey said in a statement back in April. “This definitely was not an easy decision to make. It’s been great at Alabama during my two years. It was tough my freshman year coming off surgery and having to work my way back. I wanted to improve during my sophomore season and I thought I did that. I want to thank the coaches and staff, my teammates and all the fans for their support.”
This is a big pick up for Mark Gottfried. N.C. State lost its entire starting lineup for a season ago with Scott Wood and Richard Powell graduating, C.J. Leslie and Lorenzo Brown declaring for the draft, and Rodney Purvis transferring to UConn.
The 6-foot-3 Lacey averaged 11.3 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game as a sophomore for Bama. He joins N.C. State’s incoming class that features Anthony Barber, Desmond Lee, Kyle Washington, BeeJay Anya and Lennard Freeman. Gottfried returns contributors Tyler Lewis and T.J. Warren.
For the Alabama — who showed promise in 2013-2014 — is continuing a difficult offseason
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)