Jun 17, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Keith Hornsby, the sophomore guard from UNC Asheville, took to Twitter to announce where he will spend his final two years of eligibility.
The 6-foot-4 sophomore picked LSU almost three weeks after announcing he would be leaving UNC Asheville following the departure of head coach Eddie Biedenbach. Hornsby was second on the Bulldogs in both scoring and assists, averaging 15.0 points and 3.1 assists per game. Hornsby also averaged 4.2 rebounds.
This is a big pickup for head coach Johnny Jones. LSU adds a talented scoring transfer guard in addition to an impressive recruiting class heading to Baton Rouge this fall. Hornsby upped his scoring averaged by 11 in 2012-2013, shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc.
Hornsby, the son of musician Bruce Hornsby, joins a six-man incoming class that includes five-star power foward Jarell Martin (Madison Prep Academy/Baton Rouge, La.), as well as a pair of four-star commits — power forward Jordan Mickey (Prime Prep/Dallas, Texas) and point guard Tim Quarterman (Johnson High/Savannah, Ga.)
The former UNCA Bulldog had been on a visit at LSU last week and had previously visited North Carolina State. The Daily Press in Hampton, Va. also said that St. Mary’s and Miami (OH) also expressed interest in his services.
Hornsby has to sit out the 2013-2014 season per NCAA transfer rules. He has two years of eligibility remaining.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)