Jun 17, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Renard Phillips began his new job on the DePaul coaching staff today, head coach Oliver Purnell announced through a school statement Monday afternoon.
Phillips joins the Blue Demons following a 20-7 season with Friendship Collegiate Academy in Washington, D.C. Phillips had made stops at Arlington Country Day (Fla.), Progressive Christian Academy (Md.) and Georgetown Prep (Md.) in the three previous season before taking over the FCA program in May of 2012.
Phillips also served on the coaching staff at his alma mater, DeMatha Catholic (Md.) in the 2002-2003 after four years of playing college ball at VMI.
The new addition should help with recruiting for the Blue Demons, as Phillips had been a coach in the D.C. Assault AAU program since 2008. D.C. Assault has produced dozens of Division I college basketball players over the year including Nolan Smith, Austin Freeman, Wally Judge, Rodney McGruder and Quinn Cook.
Phillips replaces assistant Brian Ellerbe.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)