Jun 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Maybe I have an addiction to college hoops that is just a bit too strong, or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about these things, but I love backtracking through the coaching carousel and figuring out how once decision sparked a chain reaction of job-hopping.
In this story, we’ll start way back on May 16th, when Raphael Chillious decided that one year on the east coast was enough for him. After spending a season on Jay Wright’s staff at Villanova, Chillious decided to return to Washington, where he had spent years on Lorenzo Romar’s staff. With a job in Philly on a power conference team opening, former Xavier assistant and Philly native Ashley Howard decided to return back to his city about a week later. To replace Howard, Xavier head coach Chris Mack set his sights on Missouri assistant Rick Carter, who had spent four seasons at Western Michigan before a year on Frank Haith’s staff.
That happened on Friday.
According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, Haith has decided to fill that void on his coaching staff with former Drake head coach Mark Phelps. Phelps replaced Keno Davis as the Bulldogs head coach after Davis took over at Providence, but amassing a 77-86 record in five seasons in the MVC isn’t the best way to keep your job.
Phelps cut his teeth under Herb Sendek at both NC State and Arizona State.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)