Jun 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Maybe I have an addiction to college hoops that is just a bit too strong, or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about these things, but I love backtracking through the coaching carousel and figuring out how once decision sparked a chain reaction of job-hopping.
In this story, we’ll start way back on May 16th, when Raphael Chillious decided that one year on the east coast was enough for him. After spending a season on Jay Wright’s staff at Villanova, Chillious decided to return to Washington, where he had spent years on Lorenzo Romar’s staff. With a job in Philly on a power conference team opening, former Xavier assistant and Philly native Ashley Howard decided to return back to his city about a week later. To replace Howard, Xavier head coach Chris Mack set his sights on Missouri assistant Rick Carter, who had spent four seasons at Western Michigan before a year on Frank Haith’s staff.
That happened on Friday.
According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, Haith has decided to fill that void on his coaching staff with former Drake head coach Mark Phelps. Phelps replaced Keno Davis as the Bulldogs head coach after Davis took over at Providence, but amassing a 77-86 record in five seasons in the MVC isn’t the best way to keep your job.
Phelps cut his teeth under Herb Sendek at both NC State and Arizona State.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)