Jun 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Maybe I have an addiction to college hoops that is just a bit too strong, or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about these things, but I love backtracking through the coaching carousel and figuring out how once decision sparked a chain reaction of job-hopping.
In this story, we’ll start way back on May 16th, when Raphael Chillious decided that one year on the east coast was enough for him. After spending a season on Jay Wright’s staff at Villanova, Chillious decided to return to Washington, where he had spent years on Lorenzo Romar’s staff. With a job in Philly on a power conference team opening, former Xavier assistant and Philly native Ashley Howard decided to return back to his city about a week later. To replace Howard, Xavier head coach Chris Mack set his sights on Missouri assistant Rick Carter, who had spent four seasons at Western Michigan before a year on Frank Haith’s staff.
That happened on Friday.
According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, Haith has decided to fill that void on his coaching staff with former Drake head coach Mark Phelps. Phelps replaced Keno Davis as the Bulldogs head coach after Davis took over at Providence, but amassing a 77-86 record in five seasons in the MVC isn’t the best way to keep your job.
Phelps cut his teeth under Herb Sendek at both NC State and Arizona State.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)