Jun 17, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
North Carolina guard was arrested on June 5. It’s been almost two full weeks since the incident occurred in Durham, and for the first time since the arrest, Tar Heels head coach Roy Williams spoke about his leading scorer.
“We are doing one thing: We are waiting until all the information comes out,” Williams told Eric Prisbell on Monday. “The good thing is, I don’t have to make a decision right now because we’re in summer school, fall semester has not started, basketball has not started. We’re going to wait and see what happens. I’ve got some ideas, but right now those ideas are staying in my mind.
“I am waiting until all the facts come in and then I will take care of everything that needs to be taken care of.”
On June 5, Hairston was stopped at a license checkpoint with two passengers in the car. All three were arrested for possession of marijuana while Hairston was also charged with driving without a license. As the week went on more details about the arrest emerged, including a report that a 9-millimeter handgun with a magazine of with nine rounds of ammunition was found outside the rental car along with 43 grams of marijuana.
Hairston decided to return for a junior season in Chapel Hill back in April. The 6-foot-5 guard was moved into the starting lineup in early February, averaging 18 points per game in those 13 starts. He ended the 2012-2013 season averaging 14.6 points and 4.3 rebounds a game.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 0
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)