Jun 17, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
North Carolina guard was arrested on June 5. It’s been almost two full weeks since the incident occurred in Durham, and for the first time since the arrest, Tar Heels head coach Roy Williams spoke about his leading scorer.
“We are doing one thing: We are waiting until all the information comes out,” Williams told Eric Prisbell on Monday. “The good thing is, I don’t have to make a decision right now because we’re in summer school, fall semester has not started, basketball has not started. We’re going to wait and see what happens. I’ve got some ideas, but right now those ideas are staying in my mind.
“I am waiting until all the facts come in and then I will take care of everything that needs to be taken care of.”
On June 5, Hairston was stopped at a license checkpoint with two passengers in the car. All three were arrested for possession of marijuana while Hairston was also charged with driving without a license. As the week went on more details about the arrest emerged, including a report that a 9-millimeter handgun with a magazine of with nine rounds of ammunition was found outside the rental car along with 43 grams of marijuana.
Hairston decided to return for a junior season in Chapel Hill back in April. The 6-foot-5 guard was moved into the starting lineup in early February, averaging 18 points per game in those 13 starts. He ended the 2012-2013 season averaging 14.6 points and 4.3 rebounds a game.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)