Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Jim Larranaga has done a good job restocking his roster on the transfer market this offseason.
After bringing in Angel Rodriguez from Kansas State and Donnavan Kirk from DePaul already, Larranaga’s latest addition is former Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points as a sophomore at Texas, and while he’s the kind of big, athletic scoring guard that can thrive at the collegiate level, McClellan was a bit of a disappointment in Austin. His issues? Shot selection, focus, motivation. Those aren’t exactly easy issues to correct, but to a certain extent, they are understandable. Texas wasn’t a very good basketball team the past two years, and it’s easy to get distracted by being an athlete on a college campus — particularly in a city like Austin — when you aren’t playing winning basketball.
Now is that a great sign for a kid that’s going to spend a year sitting out in Miami?
Not exactly, but with the prospect of spending the 2014-2015 season paired up with Rodriguez, there’s promise. Rodriguez has a chance of getting eligible for this season, but even if he’s forced to sit out a year, the Hurricanes should have one of the best back courts in the country two years down the road.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)