Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Jim Larranaga has done a good job restocking his roster on the transfer market this offseason.
After bringing in Angel Rodriguez from Kansas State and Donnavan Kirk from DePaul already, Larranaga’s latest addition is former Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points as a sophomore at Texas, and while he’s the kind of big, athletic scoring guard that can thrive at the collegiate level, McClellan was a bit of a disappointment in Austin. His issues? Shot selection, focus, motivation. Those aren’t exactly easy issues to correct, but to a certain extent, they are understandable. Texas wasn’t a very good basketball team the past two years, and it’s easy to get distracted by being an athlete on a college campus — particularly in a city like Austin — when you aren’t playing winning basketball.
Now is that a great sign for a kid that’s going to spend a year sitting out in Miami?
Not exactly, but with the prospect of spending the 2014-2015 season paired up with Rodriguez, there’s promise. Rodriguez has a chance of getting eligible for this season, but even if he’s forced to sit out a year, the Hurricanes should have one of the best back courts in the country two years down the road.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)