Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Jim Larranaga has done a good job restocking his roster on the transfer market this offseason.
After bringing in Angel Rodriguez from Kansas State and Donnavan Kirk from DePaul already, Larranaga’s latest addition is former Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points as a sophomore at Texas, and while he’s the kind of big, athletic scoring guard that can thrive at the collegiate level, McClellan was a bit of a disappointment in Austin. His issues? Shot selection, focus, motivation. Those aren’t exactly easy issues to correct, but to a certain extent, they are understandable. Texas wasn’t a very good basketball team the past two years, and it’s easy to get distracted by being an athlete on a college campus — particularly in a city like Austin — when you aren’t playing winning basketball.
Now is that a great sign for a kid that’s going to spend a year sitting out in Miami?
Not exactly, but with the prospect of spending the 2014-2015 season paired up with Rodriguez, there’s promise. Rodriguez has a chance of getting eligible for this season, but even if he’s forced to sit out a year, the Hurricanes should have one of the best back courts in the country two years down the road.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)