Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Jim Larranaga has done a good job restocking his roster on the transfer market this offseason.
After bringing in Angel Rodriguez from Kansas State and Donnavan Kirk from DePaul already, Larranaga’s latest addition is former Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points as a sophomore at Texas, and while he’s the kind of big, athletic scoring guard that can thrive at the collegiate level, McClellan was a bit of a disappointment in Austin. His issues? Shot selection, focus, motivation. Those aren’t exactly easy issues to correct, but to a certain extent, they are understandable. Texas wasn’t a very good basketball team the past two years, and it’s easy to get distracted by being an athlete on a college campus — particularly in a city like Austin — when you aren’t playing winning basketball.
Now is that a great sign for a kid that’s going to spend a year sitting out in Miami?
Not exactly, but with the prospect of spending the 2014-2015 season paired up with Rodriguez, there’s promise. Rodriguez has a chance of getting eligible for this season, but even if he’s forced to sit out a year, the Hurricanes should have one of the best back courts in the country two years down the road.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)