Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Jim Larranaga has done a good job restocking his roster on the transfer market this offseason.
After bringing in Angel Rodriguez from Kansas State and Donnavan Kirk from DePaul already, Larranaga’s latest addition is former Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points as a sophomore at Texas, and while he’s the kind of big, athletic scoring guard that can thrive at the collegiate level, McClellan was a bit of a disappointment in Austin. His issues? Shot selection, focus, motivation. Those aren’t exactly easy issues to correct, but to a certain extent, they are understandable. Texas wasn’t a very good basketball team the past two years, and it’s easy to get distracted by being an athlete on a college campus — particularly in a city like Austin — when you aren’t playing winning basketball.
Now is that a great sign for a kid that’s going to spend a year sitting out in Miami?
Not exactly, but with the prospect of spending the 2014-2015 season paired up with Rodriguez, there’s promise. Rodriguez has a chance of getting eligible for this season, but even if he’s forced to sit out a year, the Hurricanes should have one of the best back courts in the country two years down the road.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)