Jun 17, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
One of the nation’s top rising seniors Rashad Vaughn has decided to leave Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) in favor of prep school for his final season. Vaughn has been debating about whether or not to leave Cooper for months.
“The kid has to move on and do what’s best for him,” Vaughn’s mentor Pete Kaffey told the Pioneer Press on Monday afternoon. “The decision has been made for a while, but we decided to wait because there were a lot of things going on. The kid is a gym rat, so he needs access to the gym as much as he can. He also needed to play against better competition.”
Marcus R. Fuller of the Pioneer Press mentioned that four prep schools will likely be the destination for the 6-foot-5 shooting guard. Fuller specifically mentioned national powers Huntington Prep (W.Va.) and Findlay Prep (Nev.). Eric Bossi of Rivals tweeted on Monday afternoon that Vaughn could also end up at La Lumiere (Ind.) or Prime Prep (Texas) along with Huntington and Findlay.
Vaughn is ranked No. 6 overall in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He holds offers from Arizona, Baylor, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Syracuse and his home state of Minnesota.
He is currently playing AAU with Playground Elite, averaging 19.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game on the EYBL circuit.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)