Jun 17, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
One of the nation’s top rising seniors Rashad Vaughn has decided to leave Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) in favor of prep school for his final season. Vaughn has been debating about whether or not to leave Cooper for months.
“The kid has to move on and do what’s best for him,” Vaughn’s mentor Pete Kaffey told the Pioneer Press on Monday afternoon. “The decision has been made for a while, but we decided to wait because there were a lot of things going on. The kid is a gym rat, so he needs access to the gym as much as he can. He also needed to play against better competition.”
Marcus R. Fuller of the Pioneer Press mentioned that four prep schools will likely be the destination for the 6-foot-5 shooting guard. Fuller specifically mentioned national powers Huntington Prep (W.Va.) and Findlay Prep (Nev.). Eric Bossi of Rivals tweeted on Monday afternoon that Vaughn could also end up at La Lumiere (Ind.) or Prime Prep (Texas) along with Huntington and Findlay.
Vaughn is ranked No. 6 overall in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He holds offers from Arizona, Baylor, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Syracuse and his home state of Minnesota.
He is currently playing AAU with Playground Elite, averaging 19.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game on the EYBL circuit.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 10
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)