Jun 17, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
One of the nation’s top rising seniors Rashad Vaughn has decided to leave Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) in favor of prep school for his final season. Vaughn has been debating about whether or not to leave Cooper for months.
“The kid has to move on and do what’s best for him,” Vaughn’s mentor Pete Kaffey told the Pioneer Press on Monday afternoon. “The decision has been made for a while, but we decided to wait because there were a lot of things going on. The kid is a gym rat, so he needs access to the gym as much as he can. He also needed to play against better competition.”
Marcus R. Fuller of the Pioneer Press mentioned that four prep schools will likely be the destination for the 6-foot-5 shooting guard. Fuller specifically mentioned national powers Huntington Prep (W.Va.) and Findlay Prep (Nev.). Eric Bossi of Rivals tweeted on Monday afternoon that Vaughn could also end up at La Lumiere (Ind.) or Prime Prep (Texas) along with Huntington and Findlay.
Vaughn is ranked No. 6 overall in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He holds offers from Arizona, Baylor, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Syracuse and his home state of Minnesota.
He is currently playing AAU with Playground Elite, averaging 19.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game on the EYBL circuit.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)