Jun 18, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Kansas commit and consensus top high school player Andrew Wiggins decided not to play for the Canadian Under-19 team this summer at next week’s FIBA U19 World Championship in Prague, Czech Republic.
That hasn’t stopped the 6-foot-7 Wiggins from impressing this summer. According to Gary Parrish of CBS Sports, sources confirmed that Wiggins participated in his first workout in Lawrence and it couldn’t sound better if you’re a Jayhawk fan.
“Wow,” the source told Parrish. “Like watching a video game. He’d be the No. 1 pick this year.”
Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and SNY.tv also received rave reviews from a KU source
“Best athlete that we have ever been around,” a source told Zagoria.
Pretty good reviews in his first week at Kansas, especially when you consider that one KU source believes he’d be the top pick in next Thursday’s NBA Draft … the same draft that includes Ben McLemore, the leading scorer of the Jayhawks last year and a potential No. 1 overall pick.
Wiggins landed in Lawrence on Saturday and has enrolled in summer courses. The projected top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft was trying to get to Kansas sooner, but was held up due to paperwork. The eagerness to begin his career in a Jayhawk uniform has earned praise from head coach Bill Self.
“I think it speaks volumes that he’s trying to get here as soon as he possibly can,” Self told Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
Kansas will look to replace its entire starting lineup from last season’s 31-win team with Wiggins and the rest of a six-man incoming class — that also features shooting guard Wayne Selden (Tilton School/Boston, Mass.) and center Joel Embiid (The Rock School/Gainesville, Fla.) — along with returners Naadir Tharpe and Perry Ellis and Memphis transfer forward Tarik Black
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)