Jun 18, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Kansas commit and consensus top high school player Andrew Wiggins decided not to play for the Canadian Under-19 team this summer at next week’s FIBA U19 World Championship in Prague, Czech Republic.
That hasn’t stopped the 6-foot-7 Wiggins from impressing this summer. According to Gary Parrish of CBS Sports, sources confirmed that Wiggins participated in his first workout in Lawrence and it couldn’t sound better if you’re a Jayhawk fan.
“Wow,” the source told Parrish. “Like watching a video game. He’d be the No. 1 pick this year.”
Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and SNY.tv also received rave reviews from a KU source
“Best athlete that we have ever been around,” a source told Zagoria.
Pretty good reviews in his first week at Kansas, especially when you consider that one KU source believes he’d be the top pick in next Thursday’s NBA Draft … the same draft that includes Ben McLemore, the leading scorer of the Jayhawks last year and a potential No. 1 overall pick.
Wiggins landed in Lawrence on Saturday and has enrolled in summer courses. The projected top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft was trying to get to Kansas sooner, but was held up due to paperwork. The eagerness to begin his career in a Jayhawk uniform has earned praise from head coach Bill Self.
“I think it speaks volumes that he’s trying to get here as soon as he possibly can,” Self told Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
Kansas will look to replace its entire starting lineup from last season’s 31-win team with Wiggins and the rest of a six-man incoming class — that also features shooting guard Wayne Selden (Tilton School/Boston, Mass.) and center Joel Embiid (The Rock School/Gainesville, Fla.) — along with returners Naadir Tharpe and Perry Ellis and Memphis transfer forward Tarik Black
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)