Jun 18, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
The return of Greg Whittington was going to be a crucial for the Georgetown Hoyas, entering next season without Big East Player of the Year Otto Porter. However, on Tuesday it was confirmed that Whittington has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee.
“Greg will return when he is 100 percent healthy,”Georgetown head coach John Thompson III said in a statement on Tuesday. “I feel for Greg because he’s worked extremely hard to prepare for the coming season, on and off the court. I’m confident this is just another setback that in the end will make him even stronger. At this point, there is no specific timetable for his return.”
It had been reported earlier in the day that Whittington had a serious knee injury that could keep him sidelined for the entire 2013-2014 season. The injury occurred during a pickup game within the last week, according to CSNWashington.com — which also reported that there is no timetable set for his return.
Whittington averaged 12.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game as as sophomore for the Hoyas, but missed the remaining 19 games due to academic reasons. The loss of the 6-foot-8 Whittington is a big blow for the Hoyas, as they enter the new-Big East. Thompson returns point guard Markel Starks, D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Nate Lubick, and adds four-star forward Reggie Cameron. But Whittington would have added a defensive presence and a shooter out on the wing.
The Hoyas begin the 2013-2014 campaign on Nov. 8 against Oregon in the Armed Forces Classic.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)