Jun 18, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
The return of Greg Whittington was going to be a crucial for the Georgetown Hoyas, entering next season without Big East Player of the Year Otto Porter. However, on Tuesday it was confirmed that Whittington has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee.
“Greg will return when he is 100 percent healthy,”Georgetown head coach John Thompson III said in a statement on Tuesday. “I feel for Greg because he’s worked extremely hard to prepare for the coming season, on and off the court. I’m confident this is just another setback that in the end will make him even stronger. At this point, there is no specific timetable for his return.”
It had been reported earlier in the day that Whittington had a serious knee injury that could keep him sidelined for the entire 2013-2014 season. The injury occurred during a pickup game within the last week, according to CSNWashington.com — which also reported that there is no timetable set for his return.
Whittington averaged 12.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game as as sophomore for the Hoyas, but missed the remaining 19 games due to academic reasons. The loss of the 6-foot-8 Whittington is a big blow for the Hoyas, as they enter the new-Big East. Thompson returns point guard Markel Starks, D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Nate Lubick, and adds four-star forward Reggie Cameron. But Whittington would have added a defensive presence and a shooter out on the wing.
The Hoyas begin the 2013-2014 campaign on Nov. 8 against Oregon in the Armed Forces Classic.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)