Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Gorgui Dieng is gearing up for next Thursday for the 2013 NBA Draft. On Tuesday, following a workout with the New York Knicks, the former Louisville center had time to talk about his old team.
“I think they’re going to have a better team this year,” Dieng told Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and SNY.tv on Tuesday.
Dieng went onto say that the guard depth with allow Louisville to press more.
The 6-foot-11 Dieng leaves a void defensively in the middle for the Cardinals, however, forwards Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell are expected to have big seasons for Rick Pitino. . Besides Dieng, the Cards have to replace the leadership of Peyton Siva with likely successor Chris Jones — the JuCo player of the year — sharing time with freshman Terry Rozier (Hargrave Military Academy/Shaker Heights/Ohio). All four of Louisville’s incoming players are four-star recruits, according to Rivals.
Oh, and they bring back Russ Freaking Smith for his senior year, and the shooting of Final Four Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock.
Whether Dieng is right is his assessment or not, it will likely add to some trash talking between Louisville and 2011 national champion (and archrival) Kentucky. The Wildcats are projected by many to be the team to beat — including CBT’s preseason rankings — due to its heralded recruiting class.
“Kentucky always have a chance to win it,” Dieng added.
“We (Louisville) always have a team,” Dieng continued. “That’s what Coach ‘P’ is all about – team. He doesn’t care who you are . You can be the best player but if you do something wrong, he’s going to sit you down. If you’re body fat is over nine percent, you won’t play.”
Dieng is projected to go No. 20 overall to the Chicago Bulls in next week’s draft according to DraftExpress.
The last two national champions are scheduled to play Dec. 28 at Rupp Arena.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)