Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
Gorgui Dieng is gearing up for next Thursday for the 2013 NBA Draft. On Tuesday, following a workout with the New York Knicks, the former Louisville center had time to talk about his old team.
“I think they’re going to have a better team this year,” Dieng told Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and SNY.tv on Tuesday.
Dieng went onto say that the guard depth with allow Louisville to press more.
The 6-foot-11 Dieng leaves a void defensively in the middle for the Cardinals, however, forwards Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell are expected to have big seasons for Rick Pitino. . Besides Dieng, the Cards have to replace the leadership of Peyton Siva with likely successor Chris Jones — the JuCo player of the year — sharing time with freshman Terry Rozier (Hargrave Military Academy/Shaker Heights/Ohio). All four of Louisville’s incoming players are four-star recruits, according to Rivals.
Oh, and they bring back Russ Freaking Smith for his senior year, and the shooting of Final Four Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock.
Whether Dieng is right is his assessment or not, it will likely add to some trash talking between Louisville and 2011 national champion (and archrival) Kentucky. The Wildcats are projected by many to be the team to beat — including CBT’s preseason rankings — due to its heralded recruiting class.
“Kentucky always have a chance to win it,” Dieng added.
“We (Louisville) always have a team,” Dieng continued. “That’s what Coach ‘P’ is all about – team. He doesn’t care who you are . You can be the best player but if you do something wrong, he’s going to sit you down. If you’re body fat is over nine percent, you won’t play.”
Dieng is projected to go No. 20 overall to the Chicago Bulls in next week’s draft according to DraftExpress.
The last two national champions are scheduled to play Dec. 28 at Rupp Arena.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)