Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Gorgui Dieng is gearing up for next Thursday for the 2013 NBA Draft. On Tuesday, following a workout with the New York Knicks, the former Louisville center had time to talk about his old team.
“I think they’re going to have a better team this year,” Dieng told Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and SNY.tv on Tuesday.
Dieng went onto say that the guard depth with allow Louisville to press more.
The 6-foot-11 Dieng leaves a void defensively in the middle for the Cardinals, however, forwards Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell are expected to have big seasons for Rick Pitino. . Besides Dieng, the Cards have to replace the leadership of Peyton Siva with likely successor Chris Jones — the JuCo player of the year — sharing time with freshman Terry Rozier (Hargrave Military Academy/Shaker Heights/Ohio). All four of Louisville’s incoming players are four-star recruits, according to Rivals.
Oh, and they bring back Russ Freaking Smith for his senior year, and the shooting of Final Four Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock.
Whether Dieng is right is his assessment or not, it will likely add to some trash talking between Louisville and 2011 national champion (and archrival) Kentucky. The Wildcats are projected by many to be the team to beat — including CBT’s preseason rankings — due to its heralded recruiting class.
“Kentucky always have a chance to win it,” Dieng added.
“We (Louisville) always have a team,” Dieng continued. “That’s what Coach ‘P’ is all about – team. He doesn’t care who you are . You can be the best player but if you do something wrong, he’s going to sit you down. If you’re body fat is over nine percent, you won’t play.”
Dieng is projected to go No. 20 overall to the Chicago Bulls in next week’s draft according to DraftExpress.
The last two national champions are scheduled to play Dec. 28 at Rupp Arena.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)