Jun 18, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
After three years with the Penn State program, rising junior forward Jon Graham was granted a release and will be allowed to transfer for his final two seasons of eligibility, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
“Jon and I have had several meetings to discuss his future and he has decided to seek opportunities to continue his playing career elsewhere,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a school statement on Tuesday. “Jon is a terrific young man. We thank him for his hard work and wish him the best moving forward.”
The 6-foot-8 Graham averaged 1.9 points 2.7 rebounds per game in 2012-2013 season. Though, his points, rebounds and minutes per game went down from his freshman season.
The Nittany Lions also lost Jermaine Marshall this offseason. He originally announced he would be going pro back in May, but on Tuesday decided to return to school and got his release from Penn State. Chambers does return its top two scorers from a season ago — D.J. Newbill and Tim Frazier. Penn State will be perimeter-dominant team and will likely go with a smaller lineup in 2013-2014. Penn State didn’t have much height last season, with its top four rebounders standing 6-foot-6 or under.
The Nittany Lions bring in a 6-foot-9 center Julian Moore (Germantown Academy/Philadelphia, Pa.) to go along with returning forwards Donovan Jack and Brandon Taylor.
Penn State does add SMU transfer Jordan Dickerson, a 7-foot freshman. Though, he has to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Graham, the Baltimore, Md. native, had committed to Penn State in May of 2010.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)