Jun 18, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
After three years with the Penn State program, rising junior forward Jon Graham was granted a release and will be allowed to transfer for his final two seasons of eligibility, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
“Jon and I have had several meetings to discuss his future and he has decided to seek opportunities to continue his playing career elsewhere,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a school statement on Tuesday. “Jon is a terrific young man. We thank him for his hard work and wish him the best moving forward.”
The 6-foot-8 Graham averaged 1.9 points 2.7 rebounds per game in 2012-2013 season. Though, his points, rebounds and minutes per game went down from his freshman season.
The Nittany Lions also lost Jermaine Marshall this offseason. He originally announced he would be going pro back in May, but on Tuesday decided to return to school and got his release from Penn State. Chambers does return its top two scorers from a season ago — D.J. Newbill and Tim Frazier. Penn State will be perimeter-dominant team and will likely go with a smaller lineup in 2013-2014. Penn State didn’t have much height last season, with its top four rebounders standing 6-foot-6 or under.
The Nittany Lions bring in a 6-foot-9 center Julian Moore (Germantown Academy/Philadelphia, Pa.) to go along with returning forwards Donovan Jack and Brandon Taylor.
Penn State does add SMU transfer Jordan Dickerson, a 7-foot freshman. Though, he has to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Graham, the Baltimore, Md. native, had committed to Penn State in May of 2010.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)