Jun 18, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Harry Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy/Winston-Salem, N.C.) was one of 12 players selected to the USA Basketball Under-16 team, playing in the FIBA World Championship in Uruguay. The 6-foot-9 2016 recruit injured his left knee on Wednesday in a win over Argentina.
On Tuesday, Giles told Jason Jordan of USA Today that he torn his ACL and MCL. Kenny Beck of WXII News in North Carolina also reported one of the top rising sophomores had also torn his meniscus and no date for surgery has been scheduled.
ESPN had recently ranked him as the top player in the Class of 2016.
“It’s confirmed that he is going to have to have surgery,” said Keith Gatlin, Giles’ head coach at Wesleyan told the News-Record on Tuesday. “He did have some damage.”
Giles led Wesleyan to a 3A state championship this year as a freshman. Giles averaged 13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks per game. He already holds offers from North Carolina — the first freshman Roy Williams has ever offered a scholarship to — Ohio State, North Carolina State and Wake Forest. His sophomore season may now be in question.
“To be honest with you, it really doesn’t matter because we just want to make sure Harry gets healthy,” Gatlin told David Reynolds. “Because he’s so young, I think he’ll be fine in the long run.”
The 15-year-old is sulking and is already getting ready for a comeback.
Giles goes on to say he plans to come back “way better” than he was before. – tweeted Beck
Tough break for one of the nation’s most exciting young players. Luckily, he will have time to recover.
Photo courtesy USA Basketball
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)