Jun 18, 2013, 5:46 PM EST
Harry Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy/Winston-Salem, N.C.) was one of 12 players selected to the USA Basketball Under-16 team, playing in the FIBA World Championship in Uruguay. The 6-foot-9 2016 recruit injured his left knee on Wednesday in a win over Argentina.
On Tuesday, Giles told Jason Jordan of USA Today that he torn his ACL and MCL. Kenny Beck of WXII News in North Carolina also reported one of the top rising sophomores had also torn his meniscus and no date for surgery has been scheduled.
ESPN had recently ranked him as the top player in the Class of 2016.
“It’s confirmed that he is going to have to have surgery,” said Keith Gatlin, Giles’ head coach at Wesleyan told the News-Record on Tuesday. “He did have some damage.”
Giles led Wesleyan to a 3A state championship this year as a freshman. Giles averaged 13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks per game. He already holds offers from North Carolina — the first freshman Roy Williams has ever offered a scholarship to — Ohio State, North Carolina State and Wake Forest. His sophomore season may now be in question.
“To be honest with you, it really doesn’t matter because we just want to make sure Harry gets healthy,” Gatlin told David Reynolds. “Because he’s so young, I think he’ll be fine in the long run.”
The 15-year-old is sulking and is already getting ready for a comeback.
Giles goes on to say he plans to come back “way better” than he was before. – tweeted Beck
Tough break for one of the nation’s most exciting young players. Luckily, he will have time to recover.
Photo courtesy USA Basketball
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)