Jun 19, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Villanova landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class, as 6-9 forward Tim Delaney committed to the school according to multiple outlets.
Delaney, who attends Pitman (N.J.) High School, held offers from schools such as Oregon State, Penn State and Rutgers and also visited both Indiana and Butler according to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
One factor in Delaney’s decision to commit to Villanova was the school’s close proximity to his home.
“I decided I wanted to be close to my family,” Delaney said according to Rob Edwards of the South Jersey Times. “I’m really close with my younger brothers and I really connected with the staff and players at Villanova when I went up there. They were great guys and fun to be around.”
While Delaney’s commitment is certainly good news for head coach Jay Wright and his staff, the program still has a need for front court talent in the 2014 class. Villanova has yet to grab a commitment in 2014, and a look at their current interior options reveals the need to do so.
Villanova won’t have many “bangers” inside in 2013-14. Center Daniel Ochefu returns for his sophomore campaign, and 6-7 forward JayVaughn Pinkston led the team in scoring last season with an average of 13.3 points per game. Pinkston can play both inside and on the perimeter, a trait that should once again prove beneficial.
In addition to the two returnees Villanova adds freshmen Kris Jenkins and Darryl Reynolds, and with the interior numbers being what they currently are those two will be needed to contribute.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 0
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)