Jun 19, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Villanova landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class, as 6-9 forward Tim Delaney committed to the school according to multiple outlets.
Delaney, who attends Pitman (N.J.) High School, held offers from schools such as Oregon State, Penn State and Rutgers and also visited both Indiana and Butler according to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
One factor in Delaney’s decision to commit to Villanova was the school’s close proximity to his home.
“I decided I wanted to be close to my family,” Delaney said according to Rob Edwards of the South Jersey Times. “I’m really close with my younger brothers and I really connected with the staff and players at Villanova when I went up there. They were great guys and fun to be around.”
While Delaney’s commitment is certainly good news for head coach Jay Wright and his staff, the program still has a need for front court talent in the 2014 class. Villanova has yet to grab a commitment in 2014, and a look at their current interior options reveals the need to do so.
Villanova won’t have many “bangers” inside in 2013-14. Center Daniel Ochefu returns for his sophomore campaign, and 6-7 forward JayVaughn Pinkston led the team in scoring last season with an average of 13.3 points per game. Pinkston can play both inside and on the perimeter, a trait that should once again prove beneficial.
In addition to the two returnees Villanova adds freshmen Kris Jenkins and Darryl Reynolds, and with the interior numbers being what they currently are those two will be needed to contribute.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)