Jun 19, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Villanova landed its first verbal commitment in the 2015 class, as 6-9 forward Tim Delaney committed to the school according to multiple outlets.
Delaney, who attends Pitman (N.J.) High School, held offers from schools such as Oregon State, Penn State and Rutgers and also visited both Indiana and Butler according to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
One factor in Delaney’s decision to commit to Villanova was the school’s close proximity to his home.
“I decided I wanted to be close to my family,” Delaney said according to Rob Edwards of the South Jersey Times. “I’m really close with my younger brothers and I really connected with the staff and players at Villanova when I went up there. They were great guys and fun to be around.”
While Delaney’s commitment is certainly good news for head coach Jay Wright and his staff, the program still has a need for front court talent in the 2014 class. Villanova has yet to grab a commitment in 2014, and a look at their current interior options reveals the need to do so.
Villanova won’t have many “bangers” inside in 2013-14. Center Daniel Ochefu returns for his sophomore campaign, and 6-7 forward JayVaughn Pinkston led the team in scoring last season with an average of 13.3 points per game. Pinkston can play both inside and on the perimeter, a trait that should once again prove beneficial.
In addition to the two returnees Villanova adds freshmen Kris Jenkins and Darryl Reynolds, and with the interior numbers being what they currently are those two will be needed to contribute.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)