Jun 19, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
With talented players such as forward Ryan Anderson and guard Olivier Hanlan returning, there’s a feeling among many that Boston College can be one of the ACC’s most improved teams in 2013-14.
A group that has taken its share of lumps in Steve Donahue’s first two seasons on the Heights, the Eagles took both eventual ACC champion Miami and Duke down to the wire in Chestnut Hill (losing both games by one). With the added experience and another offseason in the weight room, maybe some of those close losses turn into victories next season.
On Wednesday, Boston College received a personnel boost in the form of 6-11 big man Billy Magarity according to multiple reports. Magarity, a native of Sweden who has roots in the Philadelphia area, was also considering Seton Hall and Temple.
Those two other programs were in need of interior help and remain so as a result of Magarity’s decision.
Magarity joins 6-4 shooting guard Darryl Hicks and 6-6 small forward Garland Owens in Boston College’s 2013 incoming class, and if Magarity can help the Eagles out on the glass he’ll be a welcome addition.
Boston College finished last season eighth in rebounding margin (-1.1 rpg) and 11th (out of 12 teams) in offensive rebounding percentage, as they managed to rebound just 28.1% of their missed shots. To be fair, it should also be noted that the Eagles ranked fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (69.3%).
If Boston College is to begin its climb up the ACC standings (the league adds Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse), rebounding is one area in which they’ll need to improve.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)