Jun 19, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
With talented players such as forward Ryan Anderson and guard Olivier Hanlan returning, there’s a feeling among many that Boston College can be one of the ACC’s most improved teams in 2013-14.
A group that has taken its share of lumps in Steve Donahue’s first two seasons on the Heights, the Eagles took both eventual ACC champion Miami and Duke down to the wire in Chestnut Hill (losing both games by one). With the added experience and another offseason in the weight room, maybe some of those close losses turn into victories next season.
On Wednesday, Boston College received a personnel boost in the form of 6-11 big man Billy Magarity according to multiple reports. Magarity, a native of Sweden who has roots in the Philadelphia area, was also considering Seton Hall and Temple.
Those two other programs were in need of interior help and remain so as a result of Magarity’s decision.
Magarity joins 6-4 shooting guard Darryl Hicks and 6-6 small forward Garland Owens in Boston College’s 2013 incoming class, and if Magarity can help the Eagles out on the glass he’ll be a welcome addition.
Boston College finished last season eighth in rebounding margin (-1.1 rpg) and 11th (out of 12 teams) in offensive rebounding percentage, as they managed to rebound just 28.1% of their missed shots. To be fair, it should also be noted that the Eagles ranked fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (69.3%).
If Boston College is to begin its climb up the ACC standings (the league adds Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse), rebounding is one area in which they’ll need to improve.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)