Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has filled out his coaching staff, as he added Armon Gates as his third assistant coach on Tuesday.
Gates is a Chicago native that spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola (IL).
“We’re very excited to add Armon to our staff,” Collins said in a statement released by the school. “He has a tremendous energy and passion for the game. He is an accomplished recruiter and was an outstanding player at Kent State and he’ll be able to lean upon his own experiences as we develop our guys. He’ll be a valuable asset to our program in all areas as we move forward.”
“I’m excited to work under a head coach with the pedigree that Coach Collins has and I’m grateful to him for this wonderful opportunity,” Gates said. “It’s great to be able to remain in Chicago as we strive to build our recruiting footprint in the area. We look forward to keeping Big Ten-level players here to receive a great education. Obviously, Northwestern is a prestigious university and I look forward to being a part of this family and helping our staff make a difference.”
Gates filled the void that was left open when Tavaras Hardy left for Georgetown. The rest of Collins’ staff is made up of Patrick Baldwin, a Northwestern grad that was at Missouri State the last two years, and Brian James, who had worked with Collins’ father, Doug, with the Philadelphia 76ers recently.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)