Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has filled out his coaching staff, as he added Armon Gates as his third assistant coach on Tuesday.
Gates is a Chicago native that spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola (IL).
“We’re very excited to add Armon to our staff,” Collins said in a statement released by the school. “He has a tremendous energy and passion for the game. He is an accomplished recruiter and was an outstanding player at Kent State and he’ll be able to lean upon his own experiences as we develop our guys. He’ll be a valuable asset to our program in all areas as we move forward.”
“I’m excited to work under a head coach with the pedigree that Coach Collins has and I’m grateful to him for this wonderful opportunity,” Gates said. “It’s great to be able to remain in Chicago as we strive to build our recruiting footprint in the area. We look forward to keeping Big Ten-level players here to receive a great education. Obviously, Northwestern is a prestigious university and I look forward to being a part of this family and helping our staff make a difference.”
Gates filled the void that was left open when Tavaras Hardy left for Georgetown. The rest of Collins’ staff is made up of Patrick Baldwin, a Northwestern grad that was at Missouri State the last two years, and Brian James, who had worked with Collins’ father, Doug, with the Philadelphia 76ers recently.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)