Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has filled out his coaching staff, as he added Armon Gates as his third assistant coach on Tuesday.
Gates is a Chicago native that spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola (IL).
“We’re very excited to add Armon to our staff,” Collins said in a statement released by the school. “He has a tremendous energy and passion for the game. He is an accomplished recruiter and was an outstanding player at Kent State and he’ll be able to lean upon his own experiences as we develop our guys. He’ll be a valuable asset to our program in all areas as we move forward.”
“I’m excited to work under a head coach with the pedigree that Coach Collins has and I’m grateful to him for this wonderful opportunity,” Gates said. “It’s great to be able to remain in Chicago as we strive to build our recruiting footprint in the area. We look forward to keeping Big Ten-level players here to receive a great education. Obviously, Northwestern is a prestigious university and I look forward to being a part of this family and helping our staff make a difference.”
Gates filled the void that was left open when Tavaras Hardy left for Georgetown. The rest of Collins’ staff is made up of Patrick Baldwin, a Northwestern grad that was at Missouri State the last two years, and Brian James, who had worked with Collins’ father, Doug, with the Philadelphia 76ers recently.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)