Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has filled out his coaching staff, as he added Armon Gates as his third assistant coach on Tuesday.
Gates is a Chicago native that spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola (IL).
“We’re very excited to add Armon to our staff,” Collins said in a statement released by the school. “He has a tremendous energy and passion for the game. He is an accomplished recruiter and was an outstanding player at Kent State and he’ll be able to lean upon his own experiences as we develop our guys. He’ll be a valuable asset to our program in all areas as we move forward.”
“I’m excited to work under a head coach with the pedigree that Coach Collins has and I’m grateful to him for this wonderful opportunity,” Gates said. “It’s great to be able to remain in Chicago as we strive to build our recruiting footprint in the area. We look forward to keeping Big Ten-level players here to receive a great education. Obviously, Northwestern is a prestigious university and I look forward to being a part of this family and helping our staff make a difference.”
Gates filled the void that was left open when Tavaras Hardy left for Georgetown. The rest of Collins’ staff is made up of Patrick Baldwin, a Northwestern grad that was at Missouri State the last two years, and Brian James, who had worked with Collins’ father, Doug, with the Philadelphia 76ers recently.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 84
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (84)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)