Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins has filled out his coaching staff, as he added Armon Gates as his third assistant coach on Tuesday.
Gates is a Chicago native that spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola (IL).
“We’re very excited to add Armon to our staff,” Collins said in a statement released by the school. “He has a tremendous energy and passion for the game. He is an accomplished recruiter and was an outstanding player at Kent State and he’ll be able to lean upon his own experiences as we develop our guys. He’ll be a valuable asset to our program in all areas as we move forward.”
“I’m excited to work under a head coach with the pedigree that Coach Collins has and I’m grateful to him for this wonderful opportunity,” Gates said. “It’s great to be able to remain in Chicago as we strive to build our recruiting footprint in the area. We look forward to keeping Big Ten-level players here to receive a great education. Obviously, Northwestern is a prestigious university and I look forward to being a part of this family and helping our staff make a difference.”
Gates filled the void that was left open when Tavaras Hardy left for Georgetown. The rest of Collins’ staff is made up of Patrick Baldwin, a Northwestern grad that was at Missouri State the last two years, and Brian James, who had worked with Collins’ father, Doug, with the Philadelphia 76ers recently.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 3
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)