Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Darius Cobb, Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, will be meeting with the NCAA’s Enforcement staff today to discuss the involvement that Rodney Blackstock had with the former Kansas all-american and those close to him, according to a report from Eric Prisbell of USA Today.
That could end up being a thorn in the side of Bill Self’s program for quite a while.
If you’ve forgotten, Cobb was the guy that spoke with Prisbell last month about how Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, gave Cobb $10,000 in cash and funded trips to LA for Cobb and one of McLemore’s cousins. The report also said that Blackstock funded a birthday party for McLemore and was put on McLemore’s guest list for three games during the season.
That’s a problem for Kansas, because it’s against NCAA rules for a student-athlete — or a person close to a student-athlete — to accept illegal benefits. That strictly goes against the NCAA’s antiquated amateurism rules.
It will be interesting to see what comes of the NCAA’s investigation into this.
Because Kansas had nothing to do with a third-party throwing money at a guy that used to coach McLemore.
But they could end up being the ones that feel the brunt of the NCAA’s punishment, as they are the only ones that remain under the NCAA’s jurisdiction.
Nothing says June in college hoops like discussing an NCAA investigation into violations that shouldn’t be violations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)