Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Darius Cobb, Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, will be meeting with the NCAA’s Enforcement staff today to discuss the involvement that Rodney Blackstock had with the former Kansas all-american and those close to him, according to a report from Eric Prisbell of USA Today.
That could end up being a thorn in the side of Bill Self’s program for quite a while.
If you’ve forgotten, Cobb was the guy that spoke with Prisbell last month about how Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, gave Cobb $10,000 in cash and funded trips to LA for Cobb and one of McLemore’s cousins. The report also said that Blackstock funded a birthday party for McLemore and was put on McLemore’s guest list for three games during the season.
That’s a problem for Kansas, because it’s against NCAA rules for a student-athlete — or a person close to a student-athlete — to accept illegal benefits. That strictly goes against the NCAA’s antiquated amateurism rules.
It will be interesting to see what comes of the NCAA’s investigation into this.
Because Kansas had nothing to do with a third-party throwing money at a guy that used to coach McLemore.
But they could end up being the ones that feel the brunt of the NCAA’s punishment, as they are the only ones that remain under the NCAA’s jurisdiction.
Nothing says June in college hoops like discussing an NCAA investigation into violations that shouldn’t be violations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)