Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Darius Cobb, Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, will be meeting with the NCAA’s Enforcement staff today to discuss the involvement that Rodney Blackstock had with the former Kansas all-american and those close to him, according to a report from Eric Prisbell of USA Today.
That could end up being a thorn in the side of Bill Self’s program for quite a while.
If you’ve forgotten, Cobb was the guy that spoke with Prisbell last month about how Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, gave Cobb $10,000 in cash and funded trips to LA for Cobb and one of McLemore’s cousins. The report also said that Blackstock funded a birthday party for McLemore and was put on McLemore’s guest list for three games during the season.
That’s a problem for Kansas, because it’s against NCAA rules for a student-athlete — or a person close to a student-athlete — to accept illegal benefits. That strictly goes against the NCAA’s antiquated amateurism rules.
It will be interesting to see what comes of the NCAA’s investigation into this.
Because Kansas had nothing to do with a third-party throwing money at a guy that used to coach McLemore.
But they could end up being the ones that feel the brunt of the NCAA’s punishment, as they are the only ones that remain under the NCAA’s jurisdiction.
Nothing says June in college hoops like discussing an NCAA investigation into violations that shouldn’t be violations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)