Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Darius Cobb, Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, will be meeting with the NCAA’s Enforcement staff today to discuss the involvement that Rodney Blackstock had with the former Kansas all-american and those close to him, according to a report from Eric Prisbell of USA Today.
That could end up being a thorn in the side of Bill Self’s program for quite a while.
If you’ve forgotten, Cobb was the guy that spoke with Prisbell last month about how Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, gave Cobb $10,000 in cash and funded trips to LA for Cobb and one of McLemore’s cousins. The report also said that Blackstock funded a birthday party for McLemore and was put on McLemore’s guest list for three games during the season.
That’s a problem for Kansas, because it’s against NCAA rules for a student-athlete — or a person close to a student-athlete — to accept illegal benefits. That strictly goes against the NCAA’s antiquated amateurism rules.
It will be interesting to see what comes of the NCAA’s investigation into this.
Because Kansas had nothing to do with a third-party throwing money at a guy that used to coach McLemore.
But they could end up being the ones that feel the brunt of the NCAA’s punishment, as they are the only ones that remain under the NCAA’s jurisdiction.
Nothing says June in college hoops like discussing an NCAA investigation into violations that shouldn’t be violations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 14
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)