Jun 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Darius Cobb, Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, will be meeting with the NCAA’s Enforcement staff today to discuss the involvement that Rodney Blackstock had with the former Kansas all-american and those close to him, according to a report from Eric Prisbell of USA Today.
That could end up being a thorn in the side of Bill Self’s program for quite a while.
If you’ve forgotten, Cobb was the guy that spoke with Prisbell last month about how Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, gave Cobb $10,000 in cash and funded trips to LA for Cobb and one of McLemore’s cousins. The report also said that Blackstock funded a birthday party for McLemore and was put on McLemore’s guest list for three games during the season.
That’s a problem for Kansas, because it’s against NCAA rules for a student-athlete — or a person close to a student-athlete — to accept illegal benefits. That strictly goes against the NCAA’s antiquated amateurism rules.
It will be interesting to see what comes of the NCAA’s investigation into this.
Because Kansas had nothing to do with a third-party throwing money at a guy that used to coach McLemore.
But they could end up being the ones that feel the brunt of the NCAA’s punishment, as they are the only ones that remain under the NCAA’s jurisdiction.
Nothing says June in college hoops like discussing an NCAA investigation into violations that shouldn’t be violations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)