Jun 20, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
Thursday proved to be a busy day for new Fairleigh Dickinson head coach Greg Herenda, as one point guard announced his intentions to join the program while another is expected to transfer.
FDU landed a commitment from 5-7 point guard Malachi Nix, who leaves Niles North (Ill.) High School as the program’s all-time leading scorer. Nix was offered by FDU while on an official visit Tuesday according to Danny Hazan of CSLInsider.com, and two days later he accepted his lone Division I offer.
“It meant the world to me,” said Nix, who is considering majoring in Sports Administration. “I’ve been working for this moment for a long time. I know my mom doesn’t have to pay for me to go to school now. That means a lot to me.
“I’ve wanted to play Division I since sixth grade and I’ve always been working on my craft, and working for that. There’s a new coach there, and it’s just a great coaching staff in general. My teammates were great, and it’s an awesome recruiting class coming in too. So I just felt like it was a perfect spot for me.”
While Nix joined the program Thursday, rising sophomore Sekou Harris has reportedly decided to transfer according to Ryan Peters of Big Apple Buckets. In 22 games for the Knights last season the Plainfield, N.J. native posted averages of 5.5 points and 2.4 assists per game in 17 minutes of action per contest.
Harris’ best outing came in an 84-70 win over Prairie View A&M on November 24, as he tallied career highs in points (24) and assists (eight). Harris’ departure leaves FDU with just two guards who played last season: senior Sidney Sanders Jr. and junior Mustafaa Jones.
Coach Herenda has quite the rebuilding project ahead of him, as the Knights finished the 2012-13 season with a 7-24 record (2-16 NEC).
One major issue for FDU was their play on the defensive end, with conference opponents averaging 78.2 points per contest (allowing a league-worst 1.14 points per possession). Also of note was their work on the boards, as FDU finished the season last in the NEC in both offensive (26.2%) and defensive (61.4%) rebounding percentage.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)