Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
It’s been less than a month since Stephen Hurt decided to leave Lipscomb and enroll at Northwest Florida State, one of the nation’s strongest Junior Colleges, and he already has high-major programs beating down his door.
It’s understandable, really.
Hurt is a 6-foot-10, 280 lb center coming off of a freshman season where he averaged 11.5 points and 7.8 boards in less than 25 minutes while earning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors. He’s enrolled in a program that routinely spits out high-major Division I players, including this year’s JuCo Player of the Year in Louisville-bound Chris Jones.
So it should come as no surprise that he’s in high-demand, or that his recruitment took off quickly.
Last weekend Hurt unofficially visited Tennessee. On Wednesday of this week he will unofficially visit Indiana.
Arizona, Miami and Ole Miss are safe to put on the offer list along with Indiana and Tennessee. Forbes feels that most of the other schools interested in Hurt also have offered as well.
Those schools include Kansas, Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Baylor, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and VCU.
There are a lot of big time programs on that list, but double-doubles against Kentucky, Memphis and Florida-Gulf Coast (twice) tell you he can play at that level.
Hurt will have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the Division I level for the 2014-2015 season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)