Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
It’s been less than a month since Stephen Hurt decided to leave Lipscomb and enroll at Northwest Florida State, one of the nation’s strongest Junior Colleges, and he already has high-major programs beating down his door.
It’s understandable, really.
Hurt is a 6-foot-10, 280 lb center coming off of a freshman season where he averaged 11.5 points and 7.8 boards in less than 25 minutes while earning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors. He’s enrolled in a program that routinely spits out high-major Division I players, including this year’s JuCo Player of the Year in Louisville-bound Chris Jones.
So it should come as no surprise that he’s in high-demand, or that his recruitment took off quickly.
Last weekend Hurt unofficially visited Tennessee. On Wednesday of this week he will unofficially visit Indiana.
Arizona, Miami and Ole Miss are safe to put on the offer list along with Indiana and Tennessee. Forbes feels that most of the other schools interested in Hurt also have offered as well.
Those schools include Kansas, Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Baylor, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and VCU.
There are a lot of big time programs on that list, but double-doubles against Kentucky, Memphis and Florida-Gulf Coast (twice) tell you he can play at that level.
Hurt will have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the Division I level for the 2014-2015 season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)