Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
It’s been less than a month since Stephen Hurt decided to leave Lipscomb and enroll at Northwest Florida State, one of the nation’s strongest Junior Colleges, and he already has high-major programs beating down his door.
It’s understandable, really.
Hurt is a 6-foot-10, 280 lb center coming off of a freshman season where he averaged 11.5 points and 7.8 boards in less than 25 minutes while earning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors. He’s enrolled in a program that routinely spits out high-major Division I players, including this year’s JuCo Player of the Year in Louisville-bound Chris Jones.
So it should come as no surprise that he’s in high-demand, or that his recruitment took off quickly.
Last weekend Hurt unofficially visited Tennessee. On Wednesday of this week he will unofficially visit Indiana.
Arizona, Miami and Ole Miss are safe to put on the offer list along with Indiana and Tennessee. Forbes feels that most of the other schools interested in Hurt also have offered as well.
Those schools include Kansas, Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Baylor, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and VCU.
There are a lot of big time programs on that list, but double-doubles against Kentucky, Memphis and Florida-Gulf Coast (twice) tell you he can play at that level.
Hurt will have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the Division I level for the 2014-2015 season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)