Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
It’s been less than a month since Stephen Hurt decided to leave Lipscomb and enroll at Northwest Florida State, one of the nation’s strongest Junior Colleges, and he already has high-major programs beating down his door.
It’s understandable, really.
Hurt is a 6-foot-10, 280 lb center coming off of a freshman season where he averaged 11.5 points and 7.8 boards in less than 25 minutes while earning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors. He’s enrolled in a program that routinely spits out high-major Division I players, including this year’s JuCo Player of the Year in Louisville-bound Chris Jones.
So it should come as no surprise that he’s in high-demand, or that his recruitment took off quickly.
Last weekend Hurt unofficially visited Tennessee. On Wednesday of this week he will unofficially visit Indiana.
Arizona, Miami and Ole Miss are safe to put on the offer list along with Indiana and Tennessee. Forbes feels that most of the other schools interested in Hurt also have offered as well.
Those schools include Kansas, Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Baylor, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and VCU.
There are a lot of big time programs on that list, but double-doubles against Kentucky, Memphis and Florida-Gulf Coast (twice) tell you he can play at that level.
Hurt will have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the Division I level for the 2014-2015 season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)