Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
It’s been less than a month since Stephen Hurt decided to leave Lipscomb and enroll at Northwest Florida State, one of the nation’s strongest Junior Colleges, and he already has high-major programs beating down his door.
It’s understandable, really.
Hurt is a 6-foot-10, 280 lb center coming off of a freshman season where he averaged 11.5 points and 7.8 boards in less than 25 minutes while earning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors. He’s enrolled in a program that routinely spits out high-major Division I players, including this year’s JuCo Player of the Year in Louisville-bound Chris Jones.
So it should come as no surprise that he’s in high-demand, or that his recruitment took off quickly.
Last weekend Hurt unofficially visited Tennessee. On Wednesday of this week he will unofficially visit Indiana.
Arizona, Miami and Ole Miss are safe to put on the offer list along with Indiana and Tennessee. Forbes feels that most of the other schools interested in Hurt also have offered as well.
Those schools include Kansas, Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Baylor, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and VCU.
There are a lot of big time programs on that list, but double-doubles against Kentucky, Memphis and Florida-Gulf Coast (twice) tell you he can play at that level.
Hurt will have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the Division I level for the 2014-2015 season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)