Jun 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Johnny Manziel caused an uproar across the college football blogosphere over the weekend when he tweeted out that “Bull**** like tonight is a reason why I can’t wait to leave college station…whenever it may be”.
And while it turns out that all of this nonsense was caused by a simple parking ticket that Manziel received, that didn’t stop the internet punditry from trying to psychoanalyze the inner-most feelings of a 20 year old college student with all the fame he can handle.
Like, for example, this story from ESPN.com, which more or less says that Manziel needs to learn to keep himself out of the public’s eye. It’s from Monday, and it’s titled ‘Johnny Manziel should lie low for a while’.
Marshall Henderson, the star shooting guard for Ole Miss who made a name for himself for his exploits off the court as much as he did on the floor last season, and Manziel are something of kindred spirits, and apparently I’m not the only one that thinks this:
— marshall henderson (@NativeFlash22) June 19, 2013
Whoever put that in Henderson’s locker is probably right.
College or professional, an athlete making a name for himself because pictures of you partying make their way onto instagram or because you galavant across the country attending every sporting event possible, is not exactly the best way to build a brand. And if I was a coach, it certainly wouldn’t be the best way to convince me that he’s working as hard as I would like him to be.
But these are also college kids doing what all the rest of us dreamed of being able to do in college.
Let them live.
The best way to learn is through experience.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)