Jun 20, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Late on Wednesday night, Junior College transfer Chris Cantino announced that he was leaving Xavier.
On twitter, Cantino wrote “Welp Xavier! It’s been nice.”
Cantino had a rough go of things last season. A transfer from Palm Beach State, Cantino was docked a year of eligibility by the NCAA because he participated in a JuCo showcase after the age of 21.
“If you play in organized basketball after you’re 21 years of age, that automatically counts for one year of eligibility,” Xavier head coach Chris Mack told Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer last November. “So Chris, prior to his enrollment at junior college, turned 21 and played in a junior college showcase. He was a junior college kid-to-be. It was in July before he enrolled. He played in three games over a weekend, didn’t know any of his teammates. It was just a showcase. In three semi-organized games in front of college coaches to get to earn a scholarship opportunity, the NCAA dings him a year of eligibility.”
Cantino redshirted last season and has one year of eligibility remaining.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)