Jun 20, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Late on Wednesday night, Junior College transfer Chris Cantino announced that he was leaving Xavier.
On twitter, Cantino wrote “Welp Xavier! It’s been nice.”
Cantino had a rough go of things last season. A transfer from Palm Beach State, Cantino was docked a year of eligibility by the NCAA because he participated in a JuCo showcase after the age of 21.
“If you play in organized basketball after you’re 21 years of age, that automatically counts for one year of eligibility,” Xavier head coach Chris Mack told Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer last November. “So Chris, prior to his enrollment at junior college, turned 21 and played in a junior college showcase. He was a junior college kid-to-be. It was in July before he enrolled. He played in three games over a weekend, didn’t know any of his teammates. It was just a showcase. In three semi-organized games in front of college coaches to get to earn a scholarship opportunity, the NCAA dings him a year of eligibility.”
Cantino redshirted last season and has one year of eligibility remaining.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)