Jun 20, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Late on Wednesday night, Junior College transfer Chris Cantino announced that he was leaving Xavier.
On twitter, Cantino wrote “Welp Xavier! It’s been nice.”
Cantino had a rough go of things last season. A transfer from Palm Beach State, Cantino was docked a year of eligibility by the NCAA because he participated in a JuCo showcase after the age of 21.
“If you play in organized basketball after you’re 21 years of age, that automatically counts for one year of eligibility,” Xavier head coach Chris Mack told Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer last November. “So Chris, prior to his enrollment at junior college, turned 21 and played in a junior college showcase. He was a junior college kid-to-be. It was in July before he enrolled. He played in three games over a weekend, didn’t know any of his teammates. It was just a showcase. In three semi-organized games in front of college coaches to get to earn a scholarship opportunity, the NCAA dings him a year of eligibility.”
Cantino redshirted last season and has one year of eligibility remaining.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)