Jun 20, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
Schools are continuing to progress towards completing their non-conference schedules for the upcoming season, and on Thursday it was announced that Saint Louis and Wichita State have agreed to a home-and-home series.
Saint Louis will host the first meeting on December 1, 2013, with the return game being played during the 2014-15 season. No date for the 2014-15 meeting at Koch Arena in Wichita has been announced.
Given the amount of success that both programs enjoyed last season (and have the potential to enjoy in 2013-14), this is certainly an attractive non-conference matchup.
Wichita State won 30 games and made its first Final Four appearance since 1965, and despite losing players such as guard Malcolm Armstead and forward Carl Hall the Shockers will likely be the early favorite to win the Missouri Valley Conference.
As for Saint Louis, the Billikens won 28 games and the Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament crowns. Head coach Jim Crews loses guard Kwamain Mitchell and forward Cody Ellis, but like Gregg Marshall he’ll also have some key contributors back and should once again contend for the Atlantic 10 title.
The December 1 meeting will be the first between the two schools since 1975, with Saint Louis currently holding a 42-18 edge in the series. That date will also be a bittersweet one, as it will mark the one-year anniversary of former SLU head coach Rick Majerus’ passing.
Saint Louis didn’t mention that in the release announcing the series, but it’s likely safe to assume that the school will honor their former coach at Chaifetz Pavilion on that day.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)