Jun 20, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
Schools are continuing to progress towards completing their non-conference schedules for the upcoming season, and on Thursday it was announced that Saint Louis and Wichita State have agreed to a home-and-home series.
Saint Louis will host the first meeting on December 1, 2013, with the return game being played during the 2014-15 season. No date for the 2014-15 meeting at Koch Arena in Wichita has been announced.
Given the amount of success that both programs enjoyed last season (and have the potential to enjoy in 2013-14), this is certainly an attractive non-conference matchup.
Wichita State won 30 games and made its first Final Four appearance since 1965, and despite losing players such as guard Malcolm Armstead and forward Carl Hall the Shockers will likely be the early favorite to win the Missouri Valley Conference.
As for Saint Louis, the Billikens won 28 games and the Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament crowns. Head coach Jim Crews loses guard Kwamain Mitchell and forward Cody Ellis, but like Gregg Marshall he’ll also have some key contributors back and should once again contend for the Atlantic 10 title.
The December 1 meeting will be the first between the two schools since 1975, with Saint Louis currently holding a 42-18 edge in the series. That date will also be a bittersweet one, as it will mark the one-year anniversary of former SLU head coach Rick Majerus’ passing.
Saint Louis didn’t mention that in the release announcing the series, but it’s likely safe to assume that the school will honor their former coach at Chaifetz Pavilion on that day.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)