Jun 20, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Two times in the span of eight months, Florida point guard Scottie Wilbekin has been suspended from the Gator basketball program by Billy Donovan.
The first time was back in November, when he was benched for the first three games of the regular season. Last week, he was suspended again, and once again it was for a violation of team rules. And on Thursday morning, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz detailed what, exactly, goes into a suspension for a college basketball player during June: Wilbekin is not allowed at team workouts, but he can lift on his own and work out with the coaching staff.
More importantly, Donovan told Katz that Wilbekin isn’t part of the team in a group sense right now, which could be a problem given the fact that Florida has a stud point guard recruit named Kasey Hill coming into the program. Hill will be on campus next week for Florida’s summer session, and he will be allowed to workout with the team.
Donovan will reportedly reconsider Wilbekin’s standing when he returns from a trip to Prague with the U19 team on July 8th, and it seems like this is more of a wake-up call for Wilbekin than anything; a message that he needs to get his act together. Suspensions in June rarely remain in effect in November, so Florida fans probably don’t have too much to worry about.
The issue will be whether or not Wilbekin learns from this experience.
If he doesn’t get his act together, Florida’s back court depth may be determined by whether or not Eli Carter gets a waiver from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)