Jun 20, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Two times in the span of eight months, Florida point guard Scottie Wilbekin has been suspended from the Gator basketball program by Billy Donovan.
The first time was back in November, when he was benched for the first three games of the regular season. Last week, he was suspended again, and once again it was for a violation of team rules. And on Thursday morning, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz detailed what, exactly, goes into a suspension for a college basketball player during June: Wilbekin is not allowed at team workouts, but he can lift on his own and work out with the coaching staff.
More importantly, Donovan told Katz that Wilbekin isn’t part of the team in a group sense right now, which could be a problem given the fact that Florida has a stud point guard recruit named Kasey Hill coming into the program. Hill will be on campus next week for Florida’s summer session, and he will be allowed to workout with the team.
Donovan will reportedly reconsider Wilbekin’s standing when he returns from a trip to Prague with the U19 team on July 8th, and it seems like this is more of a wake-up call for Wilbekin than anything; a message that he needs to get his act together. Suspensions in June rarely remain in effect in November, so Florida fans probably don’t have too much to worry about.
The issue will be whether or not Wilbekin learns from this experience.
If he doesn’t get his act together, Florida’s back court depth may be determined by whether or not Eli Carter gets a waiver from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 0
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 7
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 35
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- R.J. Hunter, No. 14 Georgia State beat No. 3 Baylor in final seconds (VIDEO) (16)