Jun 20, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Two times in the span of eight months, Florida point guard Scottie Wilbekin has been suspended from the Gator basketball program by Billy Donovan.
The first time was back in November, when he was benched for the first three games of the regular season. Last week, he was suspended again, and once again it was for a violation of team rules. And on Thursday morning, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz detailed what, exactly, goes into a suspension for a college basketball player during June: Wilbekin is not allowed at team workouts, but he can lift on his own and work out with the coaching staff.
More importantly, Donovan told Katz that Wilbekin isn’t part of the team in a group sense right now, which could be a problem given the fact that Florida has a stud point guard recruit named Kasey Hill coming into the program. Hill will be on campus next week for Florida’s summer session, and he will be allowed to workout with the team.
Donovan will reportedly reconsider Wilbekin’s standing when he returns from a trip to Prague with the U19 team on July 8th, and it seems like this is more of a wake-up call for Wilbekin than anything; a message that he needs to get his act together. Suspensions in June rarely remain in effect in November, so Florida fans probably don’t have too much to worry about.
The issue will be whether or not Wilbekin learns from this experience.
If he doesn’t get his act together, Florida’s back court depth may be determined by whether or not Eli Carter gets a waiver from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- New Mexico’s Craig Neal cuts hair for ‘Locks of Love’ (VIDEO) 0
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)